Talk

Advanced search

PCOS? No periods...confused!

(3 Posts)
cocolestrange Wed 26-Feb-14 19:42:03

Hi all,

I'm under the care of a fantastic uro-gynae (for a bladder op) who recently asked about my menstrual cycle. I explained that I don't really have periods - just the tiniest spot on ONE day, twice a month. This is despite getting awful period pain and swollen breasts etc for about two weeks (and am an utterly horrible emotional, hormonal monster!). It's all talk no action!

He did a scan and found 10 cysts in my left ovary and said he wanted to check for PCOS. The blood tests taken on Day 3 after my first period (if you can even call it a period - a pretty pathetic excuse for a period!) revealed:

FSH: 2.9, LH: 12.5, Estrogen: 500

I haven't seen him to discuss this yet, but my GP said "it explains your irregular periods - speak to your consultant".
Does this look like PCOS? The waiting is killing me and I don't see him for another two weeks.

I'm 27 with no kids and I would really hope that I could start a family over the next couple of years.

Any advice would be much appreciated x <3

Queenofknickers Wed 26-Feb-14 19:50:04

Hi,
I don't know what the results mean but to reassure you I have PCOS, didn't have any periods AT ALL for years and have 2 DCs, one conceived by taking metformin and one a natural surprise! Metformin is very effective. Good luck x

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 26-Feb-14 20:07:34

There is the classic LH/FSH imbalance in your blood test results and that can be in itself indicative of PCOS. Also the multiple cystic follicles on your left ovary is another possible indicator (did they check the right ovary as well?). The polycystic ovary tends also to be larger in size than a normal ovary which is about the size of a walnut.

www.verity-pcos.org.uk is a good website. It is possible to get pregnant with PCOS but many women do require some medical assistance in order to conceive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now