Talk

Advanced search

Christmas baby?

(18 Posts)
Beansprout30 Mon 24-Feb-14 20:19:47

This might sound daft but was thinking if we are lucky enough to conceive next month, baby will be due very close to Christmas, does this bother anyone? Ive always thought I wouldn't want my child to have their birthday too close to xmas but I don't think I want to wait till April to keep trying

EmilyPinkOrBlue Mon 24-Feb-14 20:29:24

exactly our dilemma. thats why i really want to fall this cycle as it will be a november baby. whereas if i fall next cycle it could have a xmas day birthday which i don't think is fair for a child as you do get less presents when your birthday and xmas fall close together and harder to get people together for a party as they have other plans. but again like you i don't know if i can take a break from ttc! i think a jan birthday would be pants as well as everyone is trying to be good drinks and food wise so doesn't make a great party! lol

toots123 Mon 24-Feb-14 20:32:24

Im not keen on Christmas baby but dh simply said "dont be so silly"

I will work out dates and just pretend not to know when I ov if its going to be too close to Christmas!

MooseBeTimeForSnow Mon 24-Feb-14 20:32:29

DS was due 19 Dec but didn't arrive until 27 Dec. It is difficult because he gets all his gifts at once. He's still too small to understand. I asked family and friends to get him gift vouchers so we can spread the fun over the year.

My birthday is 12 Jan. It still sucks then TBH.

jellybeans001 Mon 24-Feb-14 20:34:37

I have a December baby nothing wrong with it at all. I think it's better when their born in winter as in the uk they go to school one year later

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 24-Feb-14 20:35:22

DD is a Christmas baby , 20th December. It's lovely , she was a St . Patrick's day conception grin
April could mean a January baby ...lots of reasons not to try in any given month if you think about it.

Indith Mon 24-Feb-14 20:36:03

I have 2 of them. It isn't that bad, mine seem to be surviving, enjoy their birthday etc. ds1 was due Dec 27th but turned up Jan 11th. dd due dec 20th and arrived 23rd. Anyway edd is just an edd. You could go late, you could wait and have a Feb edd then go into prem labour. Just not worth worrying about.

Hazelbrowneyes Mon 24-Feb-14 20:36:08

December baby here, due Boxing Day, arrived a few weeks early.

I've never felt like I missed out at all. Always had separate presents & always managed a party.

I don't really get the whole "can't have a December baby" thing because as a kid, your birthday is your birthday and you don't know what it's like to have a birthday in any other month! I can't imagine what it's like to have a July birthday, for example.

Weirdly, I always felt my birthday was quite special. Everyone's feeling festive and in a party mood. The tree always went up after my birthday but now I put it up on or just before my birthday and my mum helps me. It's our thing.

If you really feel strongly then stop trying for a month or two but honestly? I wouldn't worry smile

justabigdisco Mon 24-Feb-14 20:43:53

I planned to stop TTC for one month in order to not have a Xmas baby (my birthday is in Jan). Just 'slipped up' once while on holiday... And oops! Of course that's when I got pregnant. Due 20th Dec, born 25th Dec! Can't get any more Xmas than that! grin

Sunny20 Mon 24-Feb-14 20:45:44

I have a December baby (20th Dec) I've always said when I ttc next time I'm going to try my best to avoid another December baby. I guess it's just personal opinion smile

MyNameIsKenAdams Mon 24-Feb-14 20:48:11

Dd is 19th dec and whilst that week is pretty full on, she wont know any dfferent.

Im currently pg with a late october baby, so time will tellif it is actually much different.

My birthday in May which was great for staggering giftsbut at secondary school it was always exams week!

naty1 Mon 24-Feb-14 20:52:13

There are lots of other times that dont make good birthdays.
July&aug as no school so no parties, same with uni.
May and june- exams.
Oct- could fall on halloween
Feb could be on leap year 1 birthday every 4 years smile

Sept would be most ideal - oldest in year not far off mid way from xmas.

If i could i would avoid xmas but it is difficult to do dates can go about 37-42 weeks

Chloerose75 Mon 24-Feb-14 20:52:18

I wouldn't mind a Christmas baby at all. In fact I would find it quite special as I lost a baby who would have been due around Christmas time so I would feel it was meant to be if I fell around the same time again. Hopefully that is not too woo confused

Rommell Mon 24-Feb-14 20:58:48

Just see what happens, I reckon. You might not conceive straightaway, you might end up with a preemie - these things don't always go to plan. If it's really stressing you out then maybe give it a rest for a while but it's kind of out of your control tbh.

PosyFossilsShoes Mon 24-Feb-14 21:25:39

I wouldn't mind either way, but DP is a Christmas baby and dislikes it enough to be very firmly of the view that we are not having a Christmas one, if no BFP this time round we'll stop trying for a month.

ecuse Mon 24-Feb-14 22:02:51

I'm a December baby and I've never been that keen on having my birthday so close to Christmas. I did get spoiled on my birthday but it just meant it was a really long time to wait between exciting times. Come December 26th you know it's all over for the next year. And nobody can ever come to your party. Plus, DP is also a December baby so what with both of us and then Christmas/New Year it will just be more hassle and expense to have a baby in December smile Going to give the OPKs and conscious 'trying' a miss during next couple of months but not actually use contraception, and then what will be will be.

bellaboo88 Mon 24-Feb-14 22:39:19

I'm not trying, taking a 2 cycle break after this one....too many Xmas babies in our family as it is & its a running joke.

Dp isn't bothered as he loves Xmas but I just really don't want to. Best mates Xmas day baby & she hates it x

Snowflake27 Tue 25-Feb-14 08:45:08

I'm a December baby- due 25th born 27th, I share the month with my dh, brother, grandad and a good chunk of cousins aunts and uncles too! As another poster said as a kid you don't know any different. My parents made sure nobody bought us joint present though as it's really not fair for young children and the family was great about it. Always had parties when I was younger though now I'm older people are definitely less willing to go out on that date!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now