Talk

Advanced search

Why are some people so insensitive?!

(7 Posts)
LE89 Fri 21-Feb-14 18:36:51

A woman at work was telling me today that her niece is pregnant and how she made the decision to TTC, came off the pill and was pregnant within 10 days. I said congratulations and "that happened quickly" to which she responded "well everyone in their 20s are super-fertile; if you've been trying for more than three months or so then there's obviously problems there!"

Granted, she doesn't know that me and my dp (both 24) have been trying to conceive for the last 8months or so but why do people say these things!?

LE89 Fri 21-Feb-14 18:38:43

Just realised how stupid that sounds...I know she wasn't trying to be insensitive as she doesn't know we've been trying (although everyone at work has been telling me it's about time I get pregnant due to us moving in together recently!) but I really don't think this comment was necessary whether she knew I was trying or not...am I just being overly sensitive?

Trooperslane Fri 21-Feb-14 18:44:49

You are naturally super sensitive however she is WRONG and a total idiot.

X for you

bellaboo88 Fri 21-Feb-14 18:46:14

No, I think its a case of you picking up on it more, taking it as a dig when it wasn't meant that way. I'd be just as pissed too lol!!

I think its because people brag more about being one shag wonder & you don't hear the truth of how hard it can be. Its said problems & assistance is hush hush still :-(

Chin up hun, ignore her x

boydonewrongagain Fri 21-Feb-14 18:50:54

You're allowed to be super sensitive when you're trying for a baby I had a miscarriage and I was irrationality jealous of any pregnant woman I saw until I was pregnant again.

And 8months is really OK my sil is 24 and took almost 2 years to conceive her and my db had just started having fertility investigations when she got pregnant.

I know this is probably the most stupid question but have you tried ovulation sticks I found out when I used them that I ovulated right after my period not mid cycle like everyone says... Id been trying a while but got pregnant pretty quickly after using them

AmelieRose Fri 21-Feb-14 18:56:16

People say really daft things about conception and pregnancy. When DH and I were TTC and had a subsequent miscarriage people said the most ridiculous and insensitive things - one woman I work with told me it was 'high time' I was pregnant as I had been married for over a year - two weeks after I had come back to work after the miscarriage shock.

The same woman went to pat my stomach today as am now up the duff. I recoiled!

People can be idiots.

Hope TTC goes well, 8 months isn't long really, I was preg straight away the first time and took nearly a year this time. Stick with it and be patient - and I agree with boy above, OPK sticks are really good if you haven't tried them.

Hope things pan out for you thanks

LE89 Fri 21-Feb-14 19:32:28

Thank you all, glad it's not just me!

boy and Amelie thank you for the suggestion- I have been going on ovulation being mid-cycle but have will give the OPK sticks a go

Amelie- congratulations! Can't believe the things some people do/say without even thinking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now