Talk

Advanced search

Anecdotal Evidence

(10 Posts)
MamaDuckling Thu 20-Feb-14 13:11:13

Just out of curiosity...

I conceived very quickly with DS, literally days after I came off the pill.

Does anyone know if I'm likely to conceive that quickly again should we TTC within the next 12 months?

Obviously conception is a wonderfully random and complicated animal, but I'm interested as to whether conceiving happens quickly in subsequent attempts.

I ask because DS arrived a little sooner than I'd have liked! I thought it might take 6-12 months!

sebsmummy1 Thu 20-Feb-14 13:14:57

I would say it depends.

I think if you conceived quickly in your mid to late thirties I would not be waiting to start TTC. I think if you're in your twenties or early thirties waiting would be fine.

MamaDuckling Thu 20-Feb-14 13:31:50

I'll be 30 later this year. DH however is a lot older.

We'd love another DC, but I guess I'm just curious as to whether those who conceived quickly with their first, went on to conceive quickly with their 2nd/3rd?

sebsmummy1 Thu 20-Feb-14 13:54:40

Well I will tell you this.

I conceived in about 2 seconds with my first at 37. I am now 39 and with a miscarriage and what will be 9 cycles under my belt once I get out the other side of this mc, I can tell you that no, my first and second conception attempts have not been the same.

impatienceisavirtue Thu 20-Feb-14 14:09:24

First 3 DCs were all contraceptive failure. 2 different types of contraception that just didn't work. I also had an early m/c.

This time it's taken me 8 months of pretty full-on trying..

Metalhead Thu 20-Feb-14 14:18:38

I wouldn't bank on it happening again so quickly. DD was conceived 2nd cycle after coming off the pill; this time round it took me 6 months to get pregnant and that ended in mmc.

However, you might conceive again straight away, there's just no way of knowing. I'd suggest if you'd be happy for it to happen now then get on with it, but if you feel it would be a disaster then wait a little longer.

Even though I now feel a little regret that we didn't start trying sooner for #2, I know deep down that I just wasn't ready before.

purplemurple1 Thu 20-Feb-14 14:21:43

Once on hormone tablets and ovulating I conceived first cycle with ds, and again first cycle although that ended in a mc so I'm hoping for third time lucky.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Thu 20-Feb-14 14:23:26

I'm currently on my 4th pregnancy and with all of them I have conceived in seconds. I am 32 and was 29 for the 1st time (2mc).

mrsravelstein Thu 20-Feb-14 14:25:13

i hadn't really used any contraception at all for 5 years when i randomly got pregnant with first time at 28. 2nd time i conceived was while using condoms at age 33. 3rd time, at 35, actually trying on this occasion, took 6 months. 4th time, at 37 and while still breastfeeding, got pregnant first month. so i'm going for conception being really quite a random non predictable event.

MamaDuckling Thu 20-Feb-14 16:20:08

Thanks everyone.

Seems as I suspected, very random and impossible to predict. Will just be thankful as and when it hopefully happens!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now