Talk

Advanced search

Newbie alert!

(2 Posts)
teamrigby Wed 19-Feb-14 14:28:24

Hi all,
We've been off the pill for about 16 months and nothing so far. I'm 35 and OH is 37. Went to the drs for something else on Friday who asked how we were 'getting on', I said nothing yet and she wants us both to have fertility tests. Made me panic! sad
Friend has recommended ovulation tests and trying these for a few months first. I have bought some in readiness.
I have come on a week and half early! :/ silver-lining is that can start tests early than thought...
Haven't a clue about hormone levels, etc!
So any advice would be more than welcome!! smile

jessplussomeonenew Wed 19-Feb-14 14:51:54

I know thinking about fertility tests can be stressful in itself but testing and getting expert help is a really, really slow process (it took us 9 months to get tests done and our first appointment with the clinic, who referred us for more tests which took another 4 months!) so I'd really recommend starting once you're past a year of trying, particularly if you're 35. Time can start to feel in short supply and your chances even with IVF decrease steadily so it's worth getting checked out even if you don't want to do anything more complicated. The first tests are fairly straightforward; it's worth getting at least basic blood work done to check that you're ovulating (opks give you a good idea of when in your cycle you're likely to ovulate but you need the blood test to be sure) and that your early cycle hormones are ok - it's also good to get a sperm analysis done.

The other thing worth thinking about now is conception supplements - I don't think the really expensive ones are necessary but putting my husband on omega 3 and a multivitamin supplement (particularly for the zinc) made a dramatic difference to his SA, and I took own brand conception supplements to help ensure I wasn't missing anything crucial.

Whatever you choose, good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now