Talk

Advanced search

TTC and exercise concerns - please tell me I'm crazy!

(9 Posts)
neeps1207 Thu 13-Feb-14 05:14:01

I’m a bit of a lurking but looking for some advice to help put my mind at ease.

I had my DS in Nov2011. Prior to my DS being born, I used to keep active with work and would go for a run once or twice a week. Since having him, my exercise has been non-existent.

We have been TTC since Nov 2012, with no luck so far. To be honest, I was using TTC as an excuse for not exercising but since I stopped breastfeeding in April last year I have noticed the weight slowly, slowly creeping on and decided after Christmas to stop using TTC as an excuse and to try and get a bit fitter and not be so wobbly.

I have been enjoying my exercise, but I’m now a concerned that this may be hindering our attempts at getting pregnant. The sane part of my mind thinks that this idea is crazy, but after so long TTC you begin to doubt everything that you do. I currently run twice a week for about 4-5 km, do a Pilates class and try to fit in a YouTube workout if I have time. Am I crazy? Will my sudden exercise regime hinder our attempts? Please tell me I am crazy!

OwlinaTree Thu 13-Feb-14 07:27:06

Are you having periods? Some times these stop if you are over doing diet and exercise.

naty1 Thu 13-Feb-14 09:58:39

Are you an ideal bmi now?
Any changes to periods after baby?

neeps1207 Thu 13-Feb-14 10:08:09

My cycle has been a normal 28 days since March last year. It was very irregular for 6 months before that due to breastfeeding, but I've had no issues for about a year now. My period and cycle haven't been affected and my diet hasn't really changed although I've cut down on the alcohol (not that I was a heavy drinker, just cutting out the glass or two I would have 2-3 times during the week).
At beginning of Jan I was 11.5 stone, and height is 5foot6, so think I'm just in the overweight category. I've only really upped the exercise, nothing dramatic, but when I was out for my run this morning I was panicking that my increased heart rate would affect me getting pregnant. Writing this, it seems crazy as you have to increase your heart rate to get pregnant in the first place, no? But still you worry about these things.

EnglishGirlAbroad Thu 13-Feb-14 10:15:46

I don't think you need to worry too much neeps, it doesn't sound like you're exercising excessively. And if you're still getting af regularly I think you're fine. Exercise should if anything help, your body needs to be in tip top shape, it also helps improve blood flow - your lady regions included. Don't give up, there's nothing wrong with keeping active smile. Hope you get a bfp soon.

neeps1207 Thu 13-Feb-14 10:37:37

Thank you! Thats what the sane part of my head was telling me, but the crazy side was filling me with fear! Thanks smile

allchatnicknamesgone Thu 13-Feb-14 12:06:53

Hi Neeps. Interestingly, I have a similar post on conception and running, because I went to reflexologist and was told to stop. I'm not going to listen to her advice, but some good comments from other people on thread. Can't post link on phone, but its easy to find on first page.

neeps1207 Thu 13-Feb-14 12:30:10

Thanks allchat, I used to lurk on here before my DS and have been dropping in and out over the past couple of months, but just logged on this morning to post without checking previous posts. Typical that I post something that had only been asked yesterday! I've just seen your post, and it's interesting. I think some of the views expressed is what I needed to hear for reassurance, I hope it reassured you too. I hope that once I have a bfp I may change to swimming after 12-16 weeks, but until then I will carry on.

allchatnicknamesgone Thu 13-Feb-14 15:46:34

Good luck neeps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now