Talk

Advanced search

has anyone got pregnant on the depo injection?

(12 Posts)
jane1995 Sun 09-Feb-14 18:50:07

ive been on the depo for nearly three months, comming up to my 2nd one soon. Basically ive been feeling really emotional, my boobs have got bigger. Defnitley wasnt pregnant before I got the depo, havent done a test but does anyone know of anyone getting pregnant whilst being on this form of contraception?

basia2 Mon 10-Feb-14 00:11:44

My daughter in law did (according to her, anyway).
My granddaughter was born healthy and fine, despite this.
I suspect she might not be telling the truth about the Depo, though.

themessyapron Mon 10-Feb-14 00:19:03

Yes a woman on here... She only noticed when she started feeling the baby. She was 24 weeks when she found out! shock

Can't remember her name or when it was. Sure you'll be fine.

CouthyMow Mon 10-Feb-14 00:26:00

I did. 6 weeks after having the injection. Which is meant to last 3 months. DS1 was born on his due date, which put my conception date halfway through the 'effective period' of the injection.

I found out a few years later, though, that I am in the 1% of the population that NO hormonal contraception works for.

I had already had a baby whilst on microgynon, taken properly, (though I WAS having an experimental back then hay fever injection that they didn't know would interfere with it).

I've also had a pregnancy whilst having the implanon, and another whilst having a Mirena coil, and another on the mini pill...

At that point, I was told that hormonal contraception just WON'T work for me!!

But, and it's a big BUT, it is only around 1% of the population that has this issue.

basia2 Mon 10-Feb-14 00:33:06

Gosh, CM... your babies just won't take no for an answer, eh? Lol.

MissHobart Tue 11-Feb-14 19:50:46

Depo is progesterone based which basically tricks your body into thinking it's pregnant and so doesn't ovulate or shed the womb lining. I would have thought you'd be incredibly unlucky to fall PG on it, though I think no contraception is 100% so you could be! The only way to be sure is to test! Definatly before you see the doctor for your next jab!

I was on it for about 6 years and it was brilliant! No periods at all! grin

naty1 Tue 11-Feb-14 20:18:47

Well if you think say 99% effective 1 person a year will get pregnant. So still a fair few people.
If you use it for say 20 years ...

Tiredemma Tue 11-Feb-14 20:22:49

I think themessyapron is referring to me!!

Found out on May 17th last year that I was 'probably' around 24 weeks pregnant. Had an emergency scan 4 days later that confirmed me at 23weeks +1 day.

I had the depo at the beginning of december 2012 and worked out I must have got pregnant around christmas eve.

DD is now 23 weeks old and sleeping soundly upstairs- had no intention of having anymore children (boys both 13 and 10!!)

themessyapron Wed 12-Feb-14 00:59:09

Yes it was you Emma! smile

Hope everything with your ptb is well? You'll always be my favourite mumsnet 'story'!

Lebisous Tue 08-Dec-15 04:08:10

@tiredemma im pregnant and i am in still in my first month of depo. u mean I am fine and my baby will be safe too? please yall should tell me

Lebisous Tue 08-Dec-15 04:11:31

Am rely frea king out because I didn't wait for seven days to have sex. I had it on the sixth day after the depo and he came in me now am pregnant and I would like to keep it but the question is will the baby be safe since the shot is still in my system? cos most ppl are miscarrying from this and it's jus scaring me

jennyleigh1 Tue 03-May-16 08:49:20

Hi Iv recently found out I'm 5 weeks pregnant, I had my first depo injection just 10 weeks ago, I cant believe it! I had an 18 month old daughter and had no intentions of this pregnancy hence the injection! However I have every intention of going ahead with the pregnancy, some things are just meant to be ;) I need some help as Im now stressed and a bit upset that the depo injection I had will affect the baby? Is there anyone else in or who has been in my situation? Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now