Talk

Advanced search

At what point would you see Dr about irregular cycles after the pill? (+40 days)

(8 Posts)
barmybunting Sun 09-Feb-14 17:57:23

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering what your experience is with irregular cycles after coming off the pill and when you decided to/would decide to see the Dr about them?

I know that you are told it can take a while for your cycle to settle down after the pill, but I'm beginning to think there may be more going on here than just post pill adjustment.

I came off the pill (microgynon 30) around 9 months ago now, and my periods have been extremely irregular since. My first cycle was 28 days, but the next was around 63. I did ovulate during both of those according to charting, but after that I gave up charting as we started to ttc and I didn't want the stress of charting when ttc. Since then, around 6 months ago now, I have had cycles of around 34, 50, 42, 40 odd days. I had been on the pill for around 7 years prior to coming off it. I'm 27, and DH and I are both pretty healthy and fit as things go.

It's not so much the not being pregnant that is concerning me, but the very irregular cycles that is bothering me. I can't remember what my cycles were like pre pill. I think I may have had a chem preg during the last few months, but hpt results were a bit iffy so I'm not sure. I'm beginning to worry that my irregular cycles are part of an underlying issue.

Anyone else in the same boat? Anyone been to the Dr about this and got anywhere or are they just going to tell me to go away until we have been ttc for a year?

ShoeSmacking Sun 09-Feb-14 18:00:35

Were you regular before you went on pill? Cycles like you describe are common with pcos. In which case charting would be pointless anyway. After 9 months I would be seeing dr.

Good luck.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 09-Feb-14 18:13:03

I would also be seeing a doctor in your circumstances asap with a view to getting a referral to a gynae at a subfertility unit. Do not let the GP mess around in ignorance. Both of you need to be tested further.

The pill actually leaves your system very quickly after taking the last tablet and there is no real evidence to suggest that the pill is responsible for failure to ovulate. What it can do is mask symptoms of any underlying hormonal problems.

What you need first and foremost though is a diagnosis. As ShoeSmacking has rightly pointed out, consistently irregular cycles can be due to a very common condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome.
Charting is pointless too where the menstrual cycle is irregular.

barmybunting Sun 09-Feb-14 18:28:18

Thanks both of you. I don't remember what my cycle was like before I went on the pill. I don't remember being irregular, but to be honest I probably just wasn't paying attention to it.

Thanks for your input. I am beginning to think it there is something else going on, possibly PCOS as you both suggest. I have suffered from bad acne for years, starting when my periods started, but don't really seem to have other signs of it but I realise that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Simply hearing that someone else thinks there may be something going on that may be worth going to the GP about makes me feel a lot better, thanks!

I'm in the middle of my cycle just now, so I'm going to make an appointment for a few weeks time for when I think I should have my next period, and will see what this cycle brings/what happens and then follow up with the GP.

basia2 Mon 10-Feb-14 00:12:57

I'd say give it two or three cycles.
But you need to listen to your own instincts.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 10-Feb-14 07:08:43

Adult onset acne is also a possible indicator of PCOS also given your irregularity of periods. Its all linked.

I would not delay in going to the GP and asking for a referral now.

PCOS though is a very individualistic disorder and affects each woman with it very differently.

somedizzywhore1804 Mon 10-Feb-14 07:14:27

My doc was very sympathetic once I'd been trying for 6 months and got the ball rolling for a referral and started blood tests etc. I became pregnant in month 7 but she listened to my concerns so it's definitely worth going and talking to them about your concerns.

naty1 Mon 10-Feb-14 10:35:00

I would certainly go now the investigations can take months and referral if needed several months.
You can be diagnosed pcos even if not ttc as it can affect the rest of your health.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now