Talk

Advanced search

How much can being overweight affect ttc?

(6 Posts)
Saharap2 Thu 06-Feb-14 20:00:55

Does anyone have any insight or statistics on this?

The reason I am asking is that I got pregnant last year, it was unplanned and we were using contraception so I must have got pregnant quite easily.

However I lost my baby and now I am trying and nothing is happening. I put on a lot of weight since the last pregnancy as I have been feeling quite depressed, probably at least 2 stone and I am not that tall.

Since I came off the pill my periods have been regular but now I am on a really long cycle (about day 45) I was convinced i was pregnant as I had definite symptoms which I recognised from before mainly nausea, extremely tired, milky white discharge. However first response gave me a bfn yesterday.

If I'm not pregnant I don't know why I'm having such a long gap between periods, last was before Christmas, and I'm wondering if it is due to my weight gain sad

I want to see the doctor but it is hard to get appointments in my local one so haven't managed yet.

Grateful for anyone who knows about this!

Laptopgirl Fri 07-Feb-14 05:16:25

I've no statistics but I look around the average town and people of all shapes and sizes get pregnant. Have you check your ovulation?

WeightyKaty Fri 07-Feb-14 06:28:22

Irregular or long cycle periods can be a symptom if polycystic ovaries and it's often linked to being overweight. I have recently been diagnosed and am now on metformin to help the symptoms. I'm also TTC so fingers crossed.

naty1 Fri 07-Feb-14 08:55:00

Yes could be pcos. Especially if you had long cycle over xmas when would have eaten more etc.
It can be improved by weight loss.
I wonder if the pill had regulated your cycle.
Its worth talking to gp about blood tests as pcos can increase the chance of mc.
I would still retest though as 1 irregular cycle is not a lot. Mine are all over the place

Saharap2 Fri 07-Feb-14 19:05:04

Thanks.

I've never had irregular cycles before - just this one current long cycle I am on, otherwise always regular cycles never longer than 30 or 31 days. I don't think it was the pill masking irregular cycles as I was only on the pill very briefly, less than 6 months. This current long cycle did start at Christmas however I didn't really eat more over Christmas (spent with a controlling mother it would not have been worth the aggro to try to eat a chocolate or pudding! ) I'm not over eating, I think the weight gain is mainly because I stopped exercising due to depression.

Did not think about Pcos. I will google it. I thought Pcos causes you to put on weight, not that you suddenly get it if you do put on weight, if you see what I mean. I don't have any of the symptoms I would think of for that like period pain or hair growth. However I will ask the gp about it as a possibility. Would you be able to see cysts on a scan if I had it? I did have my ovaries scanned after I lost the baby and as far as I know they looked healthy.

naty1 Fri 07-Feb-14 20:47:42

Yes they can see cysts on ultrasound. Not sure but it could be dampened down by being pregnant as your body wouldnt be trying to ovulate but it can cause enlarged ovaries.
Exercise would really help the condition as it would lower your glucose in your blood.for conception i have seen an ideal bmi of around 22 or so mentioned. I would try to be under 25.
Though as someone else mentioned lots get pregnant at different shapes and sizes.
Have they tested your thyroid?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now