Talk

Advanced search

Is it worth getting the chicken pox vaccine before TTC?

(11 Posts)
AveryJessup Wed 05-Feb-14 21:21:09

We have a 2 year old DS and have been TTC #2 for about six months now. As I'm now 35, I've been referred to see a fertility doctor. In the meantime I'm trying to stay healthy, take supplements etc and while researching this have read that chickenpox is dangerous for pregnant women. I was offered a chickenpox vaccine by my GP in advance of getting pregnant but when I came to the appointment they said it's a live vaccine so I would need to use birth control for the next 3 months to avoid any fetal harm. This put me off as I don't want to delay TTC and any fertility help e.g. Clomid cycle etc. just for the sake of a chickenpox vaccine. GP said I should check with my fertility doctor when I see her in 2 weeks but just wondering whether anyone had any advice on here in the meantime.

Did anyone delay TTC to get vaccines sorted first like this? Is the risk of me getting chickenpox that serious? My son is in preschool 2 mornings a week but the risk of him bringing it home with him is low as he had been vaccinated against chickenpox as we are in the USA where chickenpox vaccine is routine for under 5s AFAIK.

AveryJessup Wed 05-Feb-14 21:23:11

I never had chickenpox as a child by the way and I know it can be much more serious in adults generally, especially pg women, hence the concern!

rockstars12 Wed 05-Feb-14 21:28:26

Absolutely get your vaccines before getting pregnant. I had this issue, I was never sure if I had chicken pox as a child and I didn't have measles mumps and rubella vaccine. The one they are mostly concerned with out of the MMR is rubella. I had to have 2 vaccines 1 month apart and wait a month to start trying again. They did a blood test to check my immunity first. Maybe get the blood test and see if its required.

AveryJessup Wed 05-Feb-14 21:32:34

I don't mind waiting a month and had planned to do that this month but waiting 3 months is a lot to ask! I have definitely had the MMR so am OK for those. Good idea to have blood test first to check immunity to chickenpox.

stargirl1701 Wed 05-Feb-14 21:34:25

I didn't have chicken pox as a child. I am 12 weeks. Another mindee at DD's CM came down with it last week. My bloods were sent to the lab. Results came back today and I am immune.

Have your bloods checked first?

rockstars12 Wed 05-Feb-14 21:34:30

Do you know if you had chickenpox as a child? If so you won't need the vaccine.

Essexgirlupnorth Wed 05-Feb-14 21:41:09

The info from my fertility clinic said if you weren't already immune to chicken pox you had to have vaccine before having IVF

atthestrokeoftwelve Wed 05-Feb-14 21:42:06

I didn't have chickenpox as a child and was exposed to it while I was pregnant.
I was given immunoglogulin shots my my GP to prevent me catching it.

I remained healthy although my 6 month old baby, 2 yr old son and I all had chicken pox at the same time a year later.

AveryJessup Wed 05-Feb-14 22:27:07

I definitely didn't have chickenpox as a child but DS is vaccinated against it so there's no risk of him getting it at preschool. It is something I'm concerned about though as I've been sick a lot recently and am constantly picking up colds and bugs so if chickenpox were doing the rounds, I'm sure I'd come down with it before anyone else!

I will get my bloods checked for immunity first before proceeding. I just really don't want to have to delay TTC again for 3 whole months...sad

RevoltingPeasant Wed 05-Feb-14 23:28:33

OP I had this quandary, as never had CP as a child. Turns out I am naturally immune! So it was all fine. Hope it's the same for you!

ADifferentKindOfMum Thu 06-Feb-14 08:03:59

I never had it as a child..fortunately had the vaccine as part of my job (healthcare professional). Definately get vaccinated before ttc!

Oddly, when my dc got chicken pox I ended up with a mouth FULL of ulcers, gums, tongue, everywhere. Maybe no link but I seriously avoid kids with it now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now