Talk

Advanced search

Which vitamins are best when trying to conceive? Pls help :-)

(14 Posts)
Katybear123 Wed 29-Jan-14 21:07:37

Hi everyone
Brand new today to mums net :-). We are thinking about try to conceive in the coming months so want to start taking vitamins. I know I need folic acid and vitamin d but which brands are best? Any advise pretty would be great? Do I go own brand folic acid and vitamin d, wellwomen, seven seas I'm so confused :-(

yummystepford Wed 29-Jan-14 21:11:17

An own brand pregnancy multivitamin wi be adequate. My midwife said that the branded ones are no better than own brand ones smile

Essexgirlupnorth Wed 29-Jan-14 21:12:03

I just went for own brand and it was fine.
My GP said he could prescribe it but was cheaper just to buy it yourself.

milktraylady Wed 29-Jan-14 21:21:03

I recommend Solgar pregnancy multi vitamins. And natures own iron (must be food state iron or you won't absorb it.)
All vitamin brands are not equal. The supermarket ones are prob all much of a muchness, but the health food shop brands are much better.

You may need extra magnesium to help conceive.

If you have a health food shop nearby go & have a chat with them (not holland & Barrett). The big Tescos have a health food shop attached & they employ proper nutritionists who can advise.

Good luck!

milktraylady Wed 29-Jan-14 21:30:11

www.nutricentre.com/t-ourstores.aspx
Here's a link, even if you can't get to a shop you can buy online.

milktraylady Wed 29-Jan-14 21:32:58

www.natures-own.co.uk/Opti-mum-V214/
This should be good, their stuff is good quality.

Carriemac Wed 29-Jan-14 21:36:20

Remember if you are overweight you need more folic acid, your GP or midwife can advise.

PenguinsDontEatKale Wed 29-Jan-14 21:38:57

If you eat a healthy diet all you really need is folic acid. Maybe with vitamin D.

Tranquilitybaby Wed 29-Jan-14 23:04:17

I agree, you get what you pay for with vitamins, but decent ones like Solgar, Higher Natire etc.

Pinkandwhite Wed 29-Jan-14 23:10:13

I took co-enzyme q-10 for a couple of months before falling pregnant. I read it was really good for egg quality. My DH also took the same. In addition to that, I'd recommend the multi-vitamins from foresight: http://www.foresight-preconception.org.uk/

Nessalina Wed 29-Jan-14 23:20:43

I've found Seven Seas 'Trying for a baby' vitamins to be very good. They're designed for conception & first three months of pregnancy. When I was TTC last I tried Pregnacare, and Superdrug and Boots' own brands, but I found them very large and uncomfortable to swallow (bigger than a paracetamol), and especially when I got pregnant and was nauseous I found them impossible! I switched to plain folic acid as they were smaller but then felt I might be missing useful supplements.
Anyway, these vitamins are about the same size as a contraceptive pill, don't need to be taken with food, and come in a useful blister pack with days on the week so you know you haven't missed one! They have all the usual goodies in, and they're about £5 for 30. I stocked up on 6 packs when they were on sale!!

Katybear123 Thu 30-Jan-14 20:31:15

Thanks everyone, very excited about all this and input really helped :-)

Lm60 Tue 04-Feb-14 21:06:12

I'm just taking normal folic acid from Holland and Barrett.

milktraylady why might someone need extra magnesium to conceive?

naty1 Tue 04-Feb-14 21:28:04

I used pregnacare conception. But then we were ttc for years so every little helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now