Talk

Advanced search

Anyone with any experience of folliculinum or other homeopathic remedies?

(8 Posts)
Saraswati Mon 23-Sep-13 11:55:27

Hi,

I want to ask if anyone has taken folliculinum and what their experiences were? I have been having irregular cycles and hormonal acne since coming off the pill in january after being on it for 12 years. At first my cycles were ok but i've had a couple of 50+ day ones along with 50 days worth of hormonal acne and pmt (not much fun!). I suspect I'm not ovulating every month, if at all.

A close relative works in a natural health centre and asked her homeopath colleague for advice on my behalf, she's given me 30c of folliculinum to take everyday for a month to see if it helps (I told my relative it was for hormonal issues as didn't want to say we are ttc). However after some googling it seems it may help with fertility too. Anyone had any luck with it?

If this doesnt work does anyone have advice on other homeopathic remedies they have tried? I'd like to go down the natural route first, but can't afford to go and have appointments with the homeopath (and would also raise issues as my relative works with her and want to keep ttc private). Any advice or experiences would be gratefully received!!

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 23-Sep-13 12:05:09

I would also look at the conventional medicine approach, you need a diagnosis first and foremost. Do not spend a lot of money either on stuff that is basically unproven to be of any benefit and may not be of any use to you at all.

I would have blood tests done by your GP to see what your hormone levels are like as I would put a crisp £5 note on it that these are out of sync. As your cycles are irregular you can actually have the tests done according to calendar days i.e the 2nd and 21st of the month. The test done on the 2nd should be done to see what your LH and FSH levels are like; these two are important as they kickstart the ovulation process. If these levels are awry then ovulation will be affected.

It may be that a condition called PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) is the root cause, this is certainly linked to adult onset acne and irregular cycles.

Saraswati Mon 23-Sep-13 12:56:58

Thanks for your reply Attila. I went to my gp a couple of months ago who wasn't very helpful. He said they would only test if I didn't have a period for 6 months or it took me more than a year to get pregnant. I suggested PCOS and he said I didn't look like a sufferer because I am slim, although I now know I should have pushed for tests as it can affect people in different ways. He said to come back in a few months if I am still having problems and am not pregnant. He suggested I 'relax' because I have plenty of time (I'm 28). Needless to say if I do go back I'll be requesting a different doctor!!

Luckily I haven't spent any money yet (freebie from my relatives colleague) and its only for a month so will give it a try and see what happens. Has anyone tried homeopathic remedies?

Gurraun Tue 24-Sep-13 09:47:49

Me! I came off the combined pill may 12. Had mid cycle bleeding and short luteal phase. Bloods showed low progesterone.

Went down homeopathy route in September and pregnant October - 10 week ds2 on my lap. Coincidence...? Perhaps but who knows.

Saraswati Tue 24-Sep-13 13:15:45

Thanks Gurraun congratulations! I'm not expecting miracles but I figured it was worth a try!

oohdaddypig Tue 24-Sep-13 13:20:07

Just want to say that accupuncture sorted my haywire cycles out (haywire after a m/c but same kind off issue)

hansieslim Thu 28-Aug-14 17:38:55

Yes, I had Folliculinum prescribed by a homeopath for PMS (in combination with another remedy). Breasts very tender and swollen and really feeling down and depressed pre cycle. I was to take it on certain days of my cycle only. I took it for about 8 months before I was entirely symptom free. This lasted for a number of years - 6 or 7. When I noticed it coming back I took it again for a few months. For me, the treatment was entirely successful and would certainly recommend.

My recommendation comes with the proviso that you do go and see a homeopath.
Folliculinum is definitely not a self-help first-aid kind of remedy.

You can find a GP who is also a homeopath at the British Homeopathic Assn website: www.britishhomeopathic.org/find-a-homeopathic-practitioner/find-a-homeopath/

Oh yes, I did notice that Folliculinum made my previously quite regular periods VERY regular. After taking it, I always started on a Monday..

ward123 Tue 11-Nov-14 12:45:35

I would recommend that you don't take Folliculinum yourself but go and see a registered Classical Homeopath who can advise. These remedies are powerful and not to be played with. They can have substantial effects but not always what you are looking for.
I am a homeopath of 25years experience in Bath and London

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now