Talk

Advanced search

I just don't get it

(23 Posts)
when Tue 06-Jun-06 19:50:45

how does this charting your ov thingy work? i thought that for a 28 day cycle, you ovulate on day 14/16 and after that it was okay to have unprotected sex. i have this horrible feeling i am preg from having sex on day 19. it was not full penetration and i'm almost positive there was no discharge from dp. i'm terrified i'm preg us i just had a baby.

when Tue 06-Jun-06 19:53:50

someone please unlighten me

when Tue 06-Jun-06 19:54:30

oops, enlighten

SenoraPostrophe Tue 06-Jun-06 19:57:04

mostpeople ovulate on day 14-16, which means they are possibly fertile between days 11 and 19 (I think the eggs live for 3 days, could be longer). Some people ovulate earlier or later though, which is why the "rhythm" method is not recommended as a form of contraception. sorry.

SenoraPostrophe Tue 06-Jun-06 19:58:55

well I say sorry - congratulations?

not being patronising btw. am 7 months gone on similar (but wrong) calculations myself. It's nice having them close together.

SenoraPostrophe Tue 06-Jun-06 19:59:53

or is it sperm that lives for 3 days and eggs for 24 hrs? either way, you could be pregnant.

when Tue 06-Jun-06 20:00:47

i didn't know about eggs living for 3 days. i thought us soon as your period started that the next egg was released. when it passes day 14/16 it was useless even if it becomes fertilised, the body would reject it as it is too far down.

peachygirl Tue 06-Jun-06 20:02:28

Hi basically its to do with sycle awreness your cycle is spilt into 3 phases
menses
relativly fertile to very fertile phase
*post ovulation infertile phase.
When you temp you will have consistant temps for the first two phases of your cycles then your temp should rise after the LH surge associated with ovulation and will stay high. it may then dip as AF arrives
This charting is done in connection with observations of cervical mucus and cervical positioning too. This is a site that will tell you more.
here
Temping isn't for everyone. You have to be quite diciplined with the thermometor and with your partner, you may have to use condoms or abstain.

when Tue 06-Jun-06 20:02:43

i don't know sp, as i had plans and i don't think i could manage if i was preg or with new born or a baby for that matter.
it was one thing this babe i'm holdin in my arms now, but two?

SenoraPostrophe Tue 06-Jun-06 20:05:03

take a test as soon as you can then so you've got plenty of time to think about it.

how old is the baby you have?

when Tue 06-Jun-06 20:05:40

pg, didn't understand that at all as i've never (thankfully) needed to worry about my fertility or getting preg. It seems to always happen on the first occation (this is not a boast, just a fact). but thanks i'll check out the site now

when Tue 06-Jun-06 20:06:15

17 weeks

peachygirl Tue 06-Jun-06 20:06:32

The egg survives for about 48 hours but sperm can survive for much longer than that ( up to 5 days) which is why you can get pregnant by having sex earlier in your cycle.
many women do ovulate around day 14 but it certainlydoesn't apply to everyone. Your ov date can also change. it isn't fixed in place.
If you are intereted in using this as a method of contraception you could make an appointment to see Natrual Family Planning nurse at your FPC

coggy Tue 06-Jun-06 20:06:56

Don't mean to worry you more but I have a 28 day cycle and ov on days 18/ 19 so that would be my most fertile time usually.
So yes, it could be very possible.
Are you bf?

when Tue 06-Jun-06 20:07:06

really terrified of taking a test, as i really, really don't wanna a positive now. but i'm making my self sick with worry now tho.

SenoraPostrophe Tue 06-Jun-06 20:08:21

aaah.

well, it's not impossible. there are 13 months between me and my sis, and 19 months between dd and ds.

when Tue 06-Jun-06 20:09:06

thanks pg,
coggy yes , fully bfing and haven't started solids yet. but my periods came back nearly 2 months after birth

SenoraPostrophe Tue 06-Jun-06 20:09:27

really, take a test the first day your period is due. if you considering an abortion (as it sounds like you are) you need time to make a decision and still get it done asap.

when Tue 06-Jun-06 20:10:20

sp, i know it is possible as my neighbore had a bout month or 2 old dd when she fell preg with TWINS!

coggy Tue 06-Jun-06 20:11:14

I'm sorry that you've got this worry.
I think it's best to test on the first date that af is due.
If you are really worried about being pg it could delay your af so best to test rather than put it off and wait and see.

when Tue 06-Jun-06 20:11:25

the reason i m worried is cause i'm late ( i think) its been 31 days today

coggy Tue 06-Jun-06 20:11:35

Did that make sense?!

coggy Tue 06-Jun-06 20:12:47

I would test then as soon as you can.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: