Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Some Advice Please

(7 Posts)
pinkranger Fri 02-Jun-06 17:24:19

Hi,
I have been trying to concive for 4 months (which is not a long time) but so far with no joy and nearly killing off my DH.
I am considering getting the Ovulation test/ Kit but have never come across these before and dont have any friends who has.

Could Anyone please give me some advice and what to get, which ones are best and most importantly DO They work!

Piffle Fri 02-Jun-06 17:28:49

I cna recommed you a terric book call Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.
It tells you everything you need to know about opbserving your fertility signs
It has been a godsend to me
If you have got a persona/electronc fertility monitor ? type ovulation kit they are quite good I think a lot of lasses on here have experience with them?
Is that the kit you mean?

titchy77 Fri 02-Jun-06 17:37:56

i'd say the clearblue digital ovulation kits are good, you get a smiley face if your ovulating and a circle if your not which makes it easy to understand if your new to all these ovulation kits...like me!!!
Good Luck!

Ledodgyherring Fri 02-Jun-06 17:40:04

I agree with the clearblue digital Ov tests they're great, I bought one pack online and out of that one pack I used one and my 2 friends used the others all of us now have another baby

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 02-Jun-06 18:17:49

Hi pinkranger,

What are your periods like?. If they are irregular (this is a cycle length of less than 21 days or more than 35 days) then I would not use them at all. Such kits are beset with problems anyway and work on two misleading principles. These are that women have one rise in luteinsing hormone (LH) every month and that such a rise is immediately followed by ovulation. Both of these statements are not true. Also if you are one of many women who are producing an excess of LH then the kit will measure this excess and give a false positive result. You may get more than one false positive result too. Apart from the expense of the products they can add stress to the whole experience of ttc (same as with temp charting. Many GPs and gynaes do not take notice of such charts primarily because they are so unreliable).

I would give yourself more time and make love when you both feel like it without using either of the above methods to spot ovulation. Ovulation is not exact and you can ovulate earlier, later or not at all in any given cycle. Many normally fertile couples will manage to conceive within 12 months.

The general consensus is that if you're over 35 and have been ttc for six months or under 35 and have been trying for 12 months without success then medical advice should be sought. Both the man and woman should be tested to see if there are any problems preventing conception.

If your periods are irregular and or very painful then advice should be sought sooner rather than later.

pinkranger Sat 03-Jun-06 12:53:49

Thank you every one for your advice. I havent got a fertility monitor , but i would give any thing a go.

The clear blue seems straight forward , are the instructions easy to follow, i confuse myself at the best of times

I might give them a go.
Thank you

pinkranger Mon 05-Jun-06 10:44:07

LedodgyHerring, where did you get your test from??
Are they expensive?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: