Talk

Advanced search

VBAC...... Good idea?

(9 Posts)
ClaireB83 Tue 18-Jun-13 12:38:06

My DH and I are talking about ttc our 2nd DC. One of the many (and there are MANY!) concerns I have is thinking about the birth. With my 1st I had an ELCS at 36wks due to complications with my own health.

After birth I obviously had to stay in on the ward for a few days and it was a really awful experience. In fact I have vowed to never go into hospital again!

I guess my worry is... I don't want to have to stay in after a ELCS again but the prospect of VBAC scares the pants off of me! I've heard a couple of horror stories. Looking for some truth really.... Good or bad!

2lilgirls Tue 18-Jun-13 12:45:59

I had a C-section last time (dd was breech) but had a vaginal birth on no.1
I am ttc #3 now and would hope for a vbac, found the section quite difficult, physically and mentally.

Sounds like you had a very frightening experience. A baby 4 weeks early, never mind the section is a traumatic experience. What exactly are you afraid of regarding a vbac? I have heard some really lovely, calm, vbac stories. I know I found my section to be panicky, it is an operation at the end of the day. I really helps to have a positive, mental attitude.

How long ago did you have your baby? Mine is 2 now and it's only in the last 3 months or so that I feel really ready to think about another pregnancy and child birth.

No 2 pregnancies or deliveries are the same. You may have a very pleasant experience next time but you really need to have come to terms with your last delivery first, so that you can relax and enjoy your next pregnancy IMO.

Whereisthesnow Tue 18-Jun-13 12:52:31

I had an emcs with dc1. Not crash style c section but lots of little things led up to it.
Hummed and haaaed about vbac for dc2. In the end went for it and he arrived a few months ago in a very straight forward vbac with just gas and air. Oh and an unexpected 10lber!
Very happy I did it and feel free to send me a pm for more details. I found hypno birthing really helped. I also had a very clear birth plan about what I agreed to and what I didn't and had researched risks I.e didn't want continual monitoring, so made sure I felt confident about refusing it
Good luck!

2lilgirls Tue 18-Jun-13 13:00:23

Love hearing these stories Whereisthesnow, Congratulations smile

ClaireB83 Tue 18-Jun-13 13:04:45

Hi. Tbh the experience of the ELCS was not bad at all. It was very relaxed and well planned. It was the aftercare that was shocking. I was left in a freezing cold recovery room for several hours after the op without any information. Then that night I was left with no pain relief for tea time until lunch the next day and I was unable to summon any help. When I finally dragged myself down the length of the ward to the nurses station at about 10/11am they told me I'd have to wait until lunch and had to walk all the way back holding my stitches. I also have other health problems which just weren't cared for at all.

My DS is going to be 3 in Aug. I have a friend who had a VBAC after 7 years and unfortunately during labour the scar tissue of her previous CS opened up and cause complications for her and baby. I know it is probably very rare but it's a very scary thought!

Good luck ttc!, v exciting!

ClaireB83 Tue 18-Jun-13 13:08:53

Thanks Whereisthesnow. I find that very reassuring! And we'll done. I really wanted an as natural as possible birth with DC1 but it wasn't to be and I was very disappointed. I think you have a point about the birth plan. I'm usually a lot better with things that are well planned but I guess things don't always go exactly to plan!

Panzee Tue 18-Jun-13 13:14:22

I had a repeat C section a few months back. ( I'd wanted a VBAC but got to 2 weeks over with no labour so we did a section). This time I pre arranged with the surgeon what pain relief I wanted, she prescribed it. I wrote down exactly when I'd had what and at the right time I rang the bell and requested the next dose. It came with no query. Compared to the way I'd been treated last time it was far better, and i think it was because i just told them which tablet i wanted and the midwives didnt have to think. grin
Re the recovery room etc. I'd had a few issues in recovery (the shakes, feeling sick etc) the first time. When the anaesthetist came I told him all this. He explained why I'd reacted in this way and made sure things were ready for me. The reason I mention this is that one of the things was a heated blanket, which might help with the cold for you.

Also I was in for four days with my first, but 48 hours with the second. So your stay may be much shorter this time round.

If you want a CS don't let the aftercare experience last time put you off. You know more now and know what questions to ask, like I did. Although there was nothing much wrong with my first experience my second was a thousand times better because of the above.

Hope that helps, good luck. smile

Panzee Tue 18-Jun-13 13:15:55

Oh and find out when shift change is, and get your meds before. You won't get any real help during handover.

sonlypuppyfat Tue 18-Jun-13 13:21:55

My first labour ended in an emergency C section as his heart beat was slowing each time I had a contration. But luckily my next two births were natural and much better I did have stitches but it didn't compare to being laid up after the section

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now