Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

how likely is a positive test on a pregnancy test to be wrong

(14 Posts)
Overrun Fri 26-May-06 11:45:50

My brother and sister in law have been told that they cannot conceive naturally, to their delight she got a positive result on a pregnancy test last night, she is two weeks late and has other pregnancy symptoms. How likely is it that this test is right, she is worried that because she has polycystic ovary syndrome that the test is not right.
Has any one got any advice that I can pass on to her?

Waswondering Fri 26-May-06 11:47:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Overrun Fri 26-May-06 11:52:39

thanks for that, she is not on fertility drugs, although they were planning to go down this route soon! She has had two positive and is seeing the Doctor today, so fingers crossed

Bugsy2 Fri 26-May-06 12:20:58

I have two friends who were told they would never be able to conceive naturally - both of whom managed it. One was on fertility drugs & the other was in the process of adopting a baby from china.
The hormones that a pregnancy test isolates are not ones that can be produced unless you are pregnant.

Overrun Fri 26-May-06 12:29:25

Thanks for that Bugsy2, it does happen doesn't it, but I think they were felt so hopeless about it that they convinced the family not to hope, you know, so I feel a bit shocked, but how much more so for them!
I read on a pregnancy test that I have in my house, that cysts can rarely throw up a false positive, so have this little twinge of doubt, we will see

liquidclocks Fri 26-May-06 12:43:15

I have a friend who has just had a gorgeous healthy baby girl who was told she'd NEVER have children and even fertility drugs and IVF wouldn't help!

Miracles can happen! (and 'shock' - doctors can get it wrong!)

Get them to go to the doctor and booked in for a confirmation scan asap

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 26-May-06 13:40:20

You can conceive with PCOS and I know of people with this condition who have conceived without any fertility treatment. I would think that the hpt is accurate.

I would urge her to seek medical advice asap - she should be monitored closely throughout by the hospital.

Uwila Fri 26-May-06 13:46:33

Oh, what a lovely thread. I think the woman is preggers!!!!

Rowlers Fri 26-May-06 13:49:28

How fantastic if she is!
Know nothing to answer your question, sorry.

Overrun Fri 26-May-06 17:06:26

Thanks for your posts, we are just starting to believe it, and she has seen a Dr who has confirmred it.
It's incredible really, because the PCOS was the least of their problems, as the fertility issues were mainly my brothers.
I can't believe it, my three ds's are going to have a cousin!!

FioFio Fri 26-May-06 17:07:56

Message deleted

spidermama Fri 26-May-06 17:13:15

Wow! Congrats.
If I had a quid for every time a woman conceived after having been told by doctors she couldn't, I'd be rich beyond the dreams of avarice.

Overrun Fri 26-May-06 17:20:09

True Spidermama, but then I used to say that to them sometimes and feel guilty about raising their hopes, or she would say to me "yeah, but it doesn't happen for a lot of people.
My brother keeps crying when I speak and that starts me off, but then there is a part of me that is worried sick, about the actual pregnancy thing, she has diabetes, and well, there is so much that can go wrong. Getting pregnant is the only the start of the journey, isn't it? But at least they can start that journey now.
I shall tell her about this site, so maybe she will post on one of the pregnancy threads, that would be lovely

glassofwine Fri 26-May-06 18:00:25

Congrats to your SIL, my DH was a miracle baby his parents were told they couldn't have children and adopted his two brothers, were thinking of adopting another when the miracle happened. Needless to say he is v close to his mum.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: