Talk

Advanced search

Clear Blue Fertility Monitor - is it worth the money?

(8 Posts)
Coffee1Sugar Tue 28-May-13 16:23:25

At £100 I'm a bit shocked but what are the general views? Does it really "double the chances of conception" or am I just an advertiser's dream?!

Background: I have dd (3) who was a pill baby. Never missed a single pill, got upduffed, only found out at 7 weeks.
Now ttc no 2 having had mirena removed end of march. I don't know what my cycle is like really as only had one pitiful bleed. But have dtd 4 times this month over my guessed ovulation. Still got about a week before I can test but I remain certain it'll be a bfn.

So, am considering this gadget. Thoughts? I'm 25 btw, dp 32.

EeyoreIsh Tue 28-May-13 16:27:15

Some people swear by them. But my consultant said not to bother. They aren't always accurate, and put more focus on the process than necessary.
Every other day throughout your cycle is the most reliable, apparently.

blueamber Tue 28-May-13 17:52:42

I got the monitor cheap of ebay, and reset it. The sticks are quite expensive, but if you subscribe and save on amazon it saves a bit of money.

I got it because I also have no idea what my cycles are like, and I just want to know when the chances of becoming pregnant are greatest.

I used it for the first time for my first cycle after taking the pill, even though the manual recommends having two natural cycles first. It picked up a change in hormones from low to high fertility, but no peak. According to the manual, this can happen the first cycle and the machine will improve with the next one and show a peak. You can read the line on the sticks though just to see how strong oestrogen / LH is so even if you get no peak the first time you can see on the sticks when ov probably happened.

Once it works accurately, I think it just gives you a wider period of time in which you can DTD every other day, so you increase the chance of pregnancy. This is the advantage over OPKs. For me, I think it is worth it, just to give me more certainty and ease of mind, knowing I'm not missing the crucial time.

SiameseIfYouPlease Tue 28-May-13 18:06:18

Yep, I borrowed one from a friend who was pg first time first cycle from it, we had been trying a year for #2 with opk's, and fell pg first cycle and just one SWI! ( it was November, so we decided to give up and enjoy the Xmas season ;) ) so I'm now 30 wks, and I've passed it on to someone else.
They are significantly cheaper on eBay, and likely to come from someone who got pg using it- can only be a good thing right?

I think it work for us because it showed a peak time waay before I would've used an opk or had any ewcm. But I didn't get a high and peak reading together in that cycle so I was amazed to have a +tve, with just one go!!

Good luck xx

Coffee1Sugar Tue 28-May-13 18:07:57

smile thanks, I'll poas next week just to be sure then will look for one on eBay next cycle. Think I'll also throw some pre-seed into the mix!

SiameseIfYouPlease Tue 28-May-13 18:12:07

I've used preseed for both pregnancies smile
I'd send you what I've got left but perhaps that's taking second hand too far? ;)

Coffee1Sugar Tue 28-May-13 18:35:39

Ha! A friend in need!

EMUZ Tue 28-May-13 20:32:56

I used Persona for contraception for 18 months. Messed up one day and dtd on an ovulation day. BFP
So the monitor worked for me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now