Advanced search

Underactive thyroid, mc & TTC.

(12 Posts)
Shellywelly1973 Sun 19-May-13 13:26:11

I had a mmc at end of February. I was 12 weeks pregnant. We've been TTC since.

I went to GP last week as i had become concerned about my thyroid but thought it was probably overactive like my mothers.

Turns out i have a very underactive thyroid. GP has started me on meds. I asked him if thyroid problems cause mc, he asked how many weeks i was when mc occurred. Then said no it wouldn't have been a factor. I've been reading since Friday & my GP was talking nonsense!

Im feeling very despondent now. Im nearly 40. It took nearly a year to concieve the baby i lost. I now need get my thyroid levels stable. Then try to concieve again...Its not looking good.

Anyone else concieve with an underactive thyroid? any advice as to what i can do, to help myself? Or good sources of info would be appreciated.

Shellywelly1973 Sun 19-May-13 15:50:29

blueamber Sun 19-May-13 16:57:06

Hi, sorry about your mc. They do say under active thyroid increases the chance, but I'm not sure how it all works. I am hypothyroid as well and I know TSH levels need to be normal before pregnancy. I think there is also a link with hypothyroidism in pregnancy and lower IQs in baby's.

It takes 4-6 weeks for medication to start increasing your levels, after which a blood test will reveal if you need a higher dose. My GP told me if I'm pregnant they'll test blood levels regularly because most women need a higher dose as the baby uses your thyroid hormones.

So my advice would be, make sure your TSH, T3 and T4 are normal and see the GP as soon as you find out you're pregnant. Also, there's a very good thyroid forum on health unlocked, you can find loads more info on thyroid issues there. Hope it all works out for you.

blueamber Sun 19-May-13 17:05:35

This book is helpful as well: Thyroid disorders by dr. Toft. There's a bit about pregnancy too.

Shellywelly1973 Sun 19-May-13 17:59:06

Thanks....thought i was only person on mn with an underactive thyroid & TTC!!

Beccadugs Sun 19-May-13 19:08:21

I also have an underachiever thyroid and am TTC, before it was diagnosed (9 years ago) I did have a miscarriage (aged 18, best thing in the circs, still v sad) just before it was diagnosed, but no idea if that was the reason. Not got anything helpful to add, but will need to go and see my endochornilogy consultant when (not if!!) I conceive!

Beccadugs Sun 19-May-13 19:08:57

Oops, underactive autocorrects to underachiever!

Rhubarb78 Sun 19-May-13 21:01:54

hi, i have an underactive thyroid and while i am not ttc, i have a 14 month old and am almost 34 weeks pg again. i was diagnosed and started on meds in the march, fell pregnant in june. once i got my bfp i went straight to the gp who referred me to the early access pg midwife and sent me straight for a thyroid function test. my meds have increased in both pregnancies from early on but my levels have always been fine.

Before my diagnosis I had a 24 week loss due to pre eclampsia (I am told this is not related to thyroid but have read otherwise) and a mc at 9 weeks (baby dated 6.5 weeks)

If i were you, i would get your levels checked every 6 weeks and get your GP to alter your thyroxine accordingly. Hold off ttc until your levels are back within normal range but if you get your levels done regularly and your dose adjusted this will happen quicker. Once you get your bfp you need an urgent consultant referral to check your levels and adjust your dose.

Hope this helps, the british thyroid foundation are good for info and if you email them with any questions they will get back to you

Shellywelly1973 Sun 19-May-13 21:46:16

Thanks so much. Honestly reading such positive replies has made me feel alot better. I'm pretty sure I've only ovulated once since the mc, now realise my thyroid is probably the problem. Though i could be going into the menopause.

My GP isn't great so i will probably arrange to see a private endocrinologist asap.

Thanks again.

Beccadugs Sun 19-May-13 22:25:00

Shelly, if you are in or near London I will give you the name of mine as he is (terrifying) fabulous!

horseonabeach Sun 19-May-13 23:16:09

Could you PM me Becca please? smile Would my gp refer me or would I have to go private? I am in a similar boat Shelly! smile

blueamber Mon 20-May-13 09:11:00

Anyone looking for good endos in their area, at the Thyroid UK forum there are loads of helpful people who know which doctors are good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now