Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Period problems

(6 Posts)
Tinkabella27 Thu 16-May-13 16:32:49

Hi, I'm new to this site, but I thought it might be worth a try.

I had my beautiful baby girl in sept of 2010. Myself and my husband have decided its time to try for another baby. The problem is, that ever since I had Beth, I've had maybe three periods. I had one ten months after I had her. Then went eleven months, then 6 months after that.

Has any one else had this problem?

I went to see the doctors, and they refused to do any tests until I had been a solid 12 months without.

Will I still be able to get pregnant without them, or will it stop me conceiving.

I'll be very grateful for any advise you could give. I'm currently 21, I was 18 when I had my daughter.

ExpatWifey Thu 16-May-13 16:49:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tinkabella27 Thu 16-May-13 16:55:53

I saw them two months ago and basically got told to stop bothering them about nothing because it isn't serious. I'm just not sure what to do now.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 16-May-13 16:56:50

If GP is this unhelpful I would change GP practice. This warrants further investigation now, do not be fobbed off. Three bleeds in 2.5 years is not normal and will certainly affect your ability to conceive. This problem is often caused by hormonal imbalances and they should check to see if there are problems with the thyroid gland or if a condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is to blame. You need a diagnosis first and foremost.

You will not become pregnant if you are not ovulating. Also it is possible to have periods without actually ovulating, this may have happened here as well.

As your cycle is practically non existent blood tests can actually be done according to calendar days. You need a blood test done on the 2nd of the month to check your LH (luteinising hormone) against that of your FSH (follicle stimulation hormone). If these two are out of sync then ovulation is affected.

Do not be fobbed off!. You will need to be persistent in order to get answers.

EeyoreIsh Thu 16-May-13 16:58:19

ask to see another gp, that kind of irregularity should be looked into. It's difficult to stand up to doctors, but I think for an issue like this you'll have to.

Good luck

Tinkabella27 Thu 16-May-13 17:00:53

I'll call into he doctors again tomorrow after dropping my daughter off at nursery. It has been really bothering me, which of course means its affecting everybody else in the family as well. Of course, my doctors being as useless as they are, I'll probably not get seen for a month or so, as it isn't an emergency.

Thanks for the advice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: