Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about IUI with Donor Sperm

(2 Posts)
Frettchen Tue 14-May-13 18:09:43

The title says it all, really.

Background: I'm 28, single (and perfectly happy to stay that way) and I want to start a family. AFAIK there are no fertility issues, however I suspect I may have PCOS, so I plan on making an appointment with my GP to check that out.

I've been thinking about this for a long time, looking into all the options etc, and IUI seems the way to go. I don't fancy DTD with a complete stranger, or turkey-baster-ing some internet-bought sperm. So it's the more expensive, safer route for me. I plan on spending a year or so saving the money and doing the research, ready to start trying.

I have ordered a large pack of ovulation tests and a basal thermometer and plan on getting into the habit of charting, mainly because I've never really paid much attention to my cycle, so would want to get familiar with it before I start having to talk to medical professionals about it!

My question, at this stage, is when I should start doing things to get this happening? I plan on saving enough for two cycles, and could probably scrape together a 3rd lot if the first two failed, before returning to the drawing board.

How long does it take to get from referral to an assisted conception team to the first cycle of IUI? I know there are plenty of steps in between; medical tests, counselling, etc. I just haven't seen any information on time scales. Also - how does the sperm choice go? Do they just give you a look at the available donors and let you choose? Is there plenty available? I had read somewhere about there being a bit of a drought after they changed the laws about identification - is this still the case? If so, what's the average waiting time, or does it vary?

Any experience/success stories would also be lovely. I'm fairly confident about the whole thing; I just don't know anyone who's been through it, and would love to know about the reality of it.

Thanks!

wrighty2010 Tue 14-May-13 20:08:33

Hi, the only thing that I would say is that if you don't have any fertility problems (I know you said you suspect PCOS) then you will end up paying for fertility treatment that you don't need. I used a connection site, Pride Angel in order to help me find my donor. It took a while but I found somene to help eventually. I also found the site useful for both information on the whole process and also the legal sde of things. It may be worth having a look as it may give you some more insight and if you can find your own donoe it may cut down on the costs? Hope this helps, I wish you all the luck in the world!! xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now