Talk

Advanced search

Overweight and struggling TTC, anyone else?

(9 Posts)
Ginformation Sun 12-May-13 20:36:15

Starting to really feel down now.

TTC #2 for 8 months. Prev had 2 mc and 1ds (20mo) but these previous pregnancies did not take longer than a couple of months. I am of course older now but I suspect that my extra cake baby weight is not helping. I have a BMI of 35 blush Anyone had/heard of success after losing weight? Unfortuantely my prev eating disorder and difficult relationship with food means it is exceptionally hard to lose weight when feeling so low. But now I have new resolve. I started couch to 5k but I need to get a grip of my food. Think I am going to start saying- 'do I want to eat this Belgian bun or have a baby'. I have to stop kidding myself.

Will just finish this bar of choc. Well, AF has just come to town and am feeling shit.

justhayley Sun 12-May-13 23:14:29

Hiya don't have any advice but didn't want to to leave you unanswered. I'm sure loosing a little weight would help and be good for your body if you do become pregnant, but it must be hard with your eating past.
Maybe don't focus on food to lose weight, maybe start exercising - walking is the best way to start. Is there a curves gym near you? Curves.co.uk I used to manage one it's an amazing way to lower your BMI, 30 mins, all women, really personal, small & un intimidating centres. The coaches really help so much more than a "gym" can't recommend enough.

I had a slightly overweight BMI - 26 I lost 4 lbs got it down into the "normal" category and got pregnant.

Good luck with your baby making - and hey lots of sex burns lots of calories win win lol

qazxc Sun 12-May-13 23:29:17

I'm also quite a bit overweight (about 6 or seven stone to lose) and have been TTC for about a year and a half. During that time i've had 2mc, which has had a catastrophic effect on my weight as i overate when i felt down.
I don't dare weigh myself in case it sends me in a tail spin as i also have an unhealthy relationship with food. I am concentrating on exercise, going for a long walk every day until i am fit enough to go to group classes.
I've also looked up healthy recipes that i would actually enjoy eating, and have vowed not to buy any more junk food.
i like the recipes on a girl called jack website, they are also easy to make and very cheap. for my walks i use the map my run website to help me design different 5k walk that loop starting and stopping at my front door.
Good luck.

FingersCrossedLegsNot Sun 12-May-13 23:38:24

Hi, I am about 3 stone overweight but this time last year I was six stone overweight! I have pcos so weight is an issue for me and every time I go to the doctor he mentions losing more weight. To lose the three stone I took chromium (stops cravings) and a complete optimum nutritional multivitamin. I definitely believe that weight has a negative impact on ttc, I just need to get on with losing the next three stone....not fun. I've been ttc for over two years btw. I have one ds who was conceived 8 years ago when I was lighter!

FingersCrossedLegsNot Sun 12-May-13 23:40:56

It's so difficult though isn't it, as for me I over eat when upset and so my natural reaction to all this disappointment is to stuff my face! It's a viscous circle! blush sad wine

qazxc Mon 13-May-13 22:47:50

it is also difficult when DP can eat anything and not put on an ounce. angry envy

Ginformation Mon 13-May-13 23:39:18

Ooh, well done fingerscrossed, 3 stone! qaz I've got a dh like that, he sits and munches his way through peanuts and red wine but is slim. Think his regular 10k runs might have something to do with it grin

I really have turned into a couch potato. I have lost weight before, form size 22 to 12 shock this was a few years ago, when my job allowed me to get to the gym 3 or 4 nights a week. I was on top of my eating and I felt great, so much energy. Unfortunately I then needed surgery on my spine and never got back into it. And work long hours. Excuses, excuses! It feels good to have started to run again, just need to keep it up...

Ginformation Mon 13-May-13 23:44:04

Oh, and a big yes to the vicious circle sad The food is not really a treat, I use it to punish myself at the same time as the 'reward' which I don't think I deserve. iyswim.

<clear as mud> grin

qazxc Wed 15-May-13 17:44:08

I get what you mean. I also go through starve/binge cycles which is why i am concentrating on exercise this time. It's great that you're running again. As well as the weight and fitness, exercise does wonders for your state of mind (or so i tell myself to make myself go to gym)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now