Talk

Advanced search

IUD removal

(11 Posts)
thecakeisalie Wed 08-May-13 12:14:50

I've got an appointment for Friday morning to have my IUD removed, from what I can see its quite quick and straight forward in most cases. I'm considering taking my two boys with me aged 3.5yrs and 2yrs as we've recently relocated to the other side of the country so I have no friends or family to provide childcare and they do not attend preschool either.

I really don't see a way round it as husband is working away during the week and even when he's not he can't take time off right now as it's a new job and he's on probation.

I'm wondering if the family planning clinic are going to have a problem with them being there. I assume there will be a curtain in the room so they won't be able to see anything 2yr old will be in his stroller & 3.5yr old is generally good at appointments. Obviously I wouldn't normally consider taking them to anything like this but I'm really running out of options. What do you think?

Skelosia Wed 08-May-13 14:54:00

Are you sure it will be straight forward for you? Are the threads still down?

I am not saying you shouldn't take your LO's with you but in my experience of having one removed, if there is an issue it can be a quite lengthy appointment.

With me, the threads were trapped inside, and half an hour of fiddling, the doctor couldn't remove it, so I had to have a scan to locate it, then a hospital appointment, where I opted initially for the local anaesthetic. Thankfully, that appointment was successful!

Not all IUD's are so awkward, and I had issues from the start and was told I may need an operation, so with any luck you will be in and out.

You may be lucky in that one of the staff will be willing to look after them for you.

Is it necessary that it comes out now? Can you wait a couple of months until you are settled and perhaps know someone who could at least come with you?

Good luck and hope it is straight forward for you!

But, in answer to your question, I wouldn't think they would have a problem with you taking them with you.

MrsHuxtable Wed 08-May-13 15:07:44

Yep, my removal wasn't straight forward at all and no curtains either that I can remember. Two doctors and a nurse couldn't get it out. Ended up being referred to a special clinic. Fun times.

So I wouldn't have the kids in the room. It might be a distraction to the doctor as well and you wouldn't want that. Maybe a receptionist will be able to look after them? DH? Neighbour? Wait a few months?

thecakeisalie Wed 08-May-13 15:56:26

That is one of my worries that it won't end up being straight forward as they ended up cutting the strings short this time as the last one I had my DH could feel the strings.

I guess I can take my chances and if the clinic aren't happy book another appt but try to arrange something for the kids. My dh will be working from home in a few weeks time but that still doesn't really help as he can't just take hours out of his day to look after the boys. I really don't want to wait unless I have to.

PopsyWind Wed 08-May-13 16:08:22

I took my 3y and 18m old DC when I had mine out recently. It was absolutely fine - took less than 10 mins.

I spose there is always a risk it may take longer though - my main worry was older DC peering round the curtain....

thecakeisalie Wed 08-May-13 16:12:58

I decided I needed to speak to the clinic just to decide whether it was possible. The lady was very helpful which was nice, she's said it will be up to the doctor doing the removal but the main problem will be limited space in the room. There are curtains so that's not an issue its just whether the boys are in a good mood that day - the main problem I can see is if they start screaming their heads off but I guess then I'd have to think about another way of arranging it. At least I'm not as worried now even if it turns out I can't get it done Fri.

Thanks for replying it made me ring the clinic which has put my mind at rest. I'm just going pack plenty of snacks and hope for the best!

thecakeisalie Wed 08-May-13 16:18:53

PopsyWind - That's reassuring that it can be done with little ones. I'm hoping it will be straight forward again, I'm pretty sure recently dh said he felt the strings so fingers crossed!

I know what you mean about peering round the curtain wouldn't want to scare them but I'm confident eldest wouldn't try peering round the curtain especially if I've provided snacks lol!

Skelosia Wed 08-May-13 16:45:17

It shouldn't take hours, so if you can leave it a couple of weeks when your DH is home, perhaps you could pop in then? He can have them in his lunch break or whatever. And you do have to consider the possibility of needing to see a Gynaecologist...what would you do then?

In my experience you would not want your children around then. I was shaking and in shock for about 2 hours afterwards.

Good to hear that your clinic are supportive and understanding though.

thecakeisalie Wed 08-May-13 17:20:45

I know what your saying Skelosia it shouldn't take too long but with the drive up there and back 30 mins each way, plus any waiting time and then the appointment itself its surprising how it adds up. If he wasn't in his probationary period with the company it wouldn't be an issue but I just can't take the risk of leaving him with the kids and him getting a conference call from work. He's really got to prove himself the next 3 months.

In the past I've had an implant and an IUD and no shock after having either of them taken out so fingers crossed I'll be ok afterwards. I appreciate the reply though, this is why I asked so I can realistically decide if its manageable or not.

thecakeisalie Wed 08-May-13 17:24:17

Sorry I missed answering your question.

If there were any problems removing it and I had to see a gynaecologist then I would just go back on a different day and I guess he'd have to take time off work, what I'm saying is if I can avoid it I really think that's best in terms of his work.

Skelosia Thu 09-May-13 16:33:58

It is entirely up to you! I know that if it was me before I had it removed, and I was in a situation similar to you, I would be considering taking DS along. I have had to take him along for a smear before now as I booked it and forgot that his school was shut that day!

But, if you are 'informed' by way of experiences of other members, you can prepare yourself an the kids better. I thought you might say it was a distance away, but still, I threw it out there smile

When is the appointment? Good luck with it and I hope you don't encounter any problems. And you know your kids best! So ultimately, it is your decision. Hopefully it is the last time you need to make it though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now