Talk

Advanced search

What do I need to know about ttc#1?

(13 Posts)
AuntieMaggie Mon 06-May-13 22:35:43

We are going to ttc any day now - what should I be doing and what do I need to know?

Also is it normal to be scared to death by it?

twinklestar2 Mon 06-May-13 22:47:48

Take folic acid
Have lots of sex

Good luck!

FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Tue 07-May-13 07:07:57

Yes it's very normal to be scared.

Twinklestar is right, all you need to worry about at this stage is folic acid and lots of sex - ideally 3 times a week.

Don't get obsessed with taking your temperature/using ovulation sticks/other TTC implements. Going down that road so early in will only drive you mad.

Just remember that 80% of "normal" couples will conceive within 1 year, so don't panic if it doesn't happen instantly.

Good luck!

mirai Tue 07-May-13 07:10:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Closef Tue 07-May-13 14:38:58

I'm the same, just started trying or more like just started not using contraception grinI've been surprised how scared I felt as I've always wanted DC but now keep thinking of all the holidays we won't get to go on! Silly I know!

AuntieMaggie Tue 07-May-13 14:39:22

3 times a week??! We're lucky if we do it 3 times a month!

I have PCOS and other health conditions so it may be difficult to conceive but I won't know until I try!

mirai yep thats about how I feel!

FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Tue 07-May-13 14:58:51

PCOS is all the more reason to have regular sex. I have PCOS too and have been trying for 3 years now, but don't panic it doesn't take everyone with PCOS that long!

The reason they say 3 times a week is because the egg will only live for an absolute maximum of 48 hours after ovulation, but it is more like 18-24 hours. If you do not have sperm in your tubes waiting for the egg in that small window then your chances of getting pregnant are slim. Sperm can live for up to 5 days, so that gives you more of a chance to get the timing right, but remember that it can take them a good 8 hours to swim up to meet the egg, so you have your best chance if you have sex in the 24-48 hours before ovulation takes place.

You need to get to know your cycle, though I know how hard this can be with PCOS. Spend a few cycles making notes about how you feel/any signs so that you get to know what your body does in the run up to ovulation. Some women get lots of cervical mucus, some get headaches, some get backache, etc. It will all help!

AuntieMaggie Tue 07-May-13 22:29:13

One of my main symptoms is crippling ovulation pain which I think is because the cysts on my ovaries get so large. Add that to the painful 2 week periods and all the other lovely symptoms and I'm really not looking foward to coming off the pill. Its taken me about 4 years to get on top of it and now I'm going to upset it all again - I must be insane grin

twinklestar2 Tue 07-May-13 22:34:25

The 3 times a week is a bit much at first but you get used to it grin

karen1505 Wed 08-May-13 12:03:19

First maybe try to find out when you ovulate or whether you ovulate at all...with PCOS you may not ovulate, then having sex even 5 times a week will not help much.

karen1505 Wed 08-May-13 12:06:29

I also have PCOS and i was trying to get pregnant for a year(!!) until I realized I didn't ovulate at all...i started tracking my cycles and noticed that there was something wrong with my cyles, then visited a good doctor and after few month i got pregnant with my first son! now trying for another one, and no results so far.

mirai Wed 08-May-13 12:09:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AuntieMaggie Wed 08-May-13 17:27:36

I'm already under a gynae so if I have any issues I can go back.

Mirai - it takes a few months for your body to settle down after the pill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now