Talk

Advanced search

Confusing opks

(9 Posts)
Liquoriceallsort Mon 06-May-13 16:35:50

I am hoping someone can talk some sense.... My af was 2 days late last month so on Saturday I did an opk because I wasn't sure whether I would then ovulate 2 days late. I've never had any luck with them before, only ever had a line once and it was feint and that was when I was using them every day. Anyhow this one immediately came out as a v strong line, darker than the control line so I thought I had caught it at the correct moment. For some reason I just decided to do another one and got the same result- v dark line came up at the same time as the control line. It's the same pack as what I previously used so I don't think it's dodgy so now I am a bit concerned there is something wrong?

Liquoriceallsort Mon 06-May-13 19:01:47

Bump

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 06-May-13 19:15:12

What are your periods like in terms of cycle?. If they are irregular then OPKs should actually be avoided as they can give misleading results. If your periods are irregular as well then medical advice should be sought.

What these kits measure is LH and this level can peak and trough throughout the cycle. What these kits erroneously assume is that there is only one rise of LH each month and that such a rise is followed by ovulation.

Liquoriceallsort Mon 06-May-13 19:31:03

Thanks for your reply Attila, does that mean it is normal to have 3 days of v strong positive? I only tested on those days so I am not sure if it would have been positive before Saturday too. My periods are regular as clockwork, I only used them this month because I was ill last month so af was late. It's annoying, I wish I hadn't tested at all and I'd be none the wiser!!

willitbe Tue 07-May-13 09:08:37

Hi, is there a chance you could be pregnant? Opk's show positive for pregnancy. As your last period was late and you have had unusually three strong positives in a row, it might be an idea to take a cheap pregnancy test just to check.

Liquoriceallsort Tue 07-May-13 14:48:18

I am only on cd 18 so no use testing yet, last month I had a terrible tummy big for 2 days then af was exactly 2 days late. I am all out of opks so will get some tonight and test again grin

willitbe Tue 07-May-13 20:08:33

What I meant was that the last period could have been an implantation bleed. Have you continued to get strong positive opk's?

Froggy2013 Tue 07-May-13 20:29:15

Agree with willitbe!

Otherwise, if you are not pregnant, may be that you weren't ovulating during other cycles. Or testing at the wrong time (apparently it is best to take ovulation tests in the afternoon) - and missing your surge. I also found testing to be much more productive when using a cup to collect urine samples - I never really got any definitive results when testing in urine stream. Anyway, if not pregnant, start BDing ASAP! :-)

Liquoriceallsort Tue 07-May-13 20:58:53

Thanks for your replies! Defo not pg from last time as tested when late and had a proper af as normal. Haven't tested today as I didn't have time to get any opks but will test tomorrow. I did think it was hard to catch normally but I always tested for a good 5-6 days and always in the afternoon but barely ever got a line not even a feint one, this one is hard to miss!! Bizarre. I am taking the opportunity to bd lots though grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now