Talk

Advanced search

Folic acid dose

(9 Posts)
onceipopicantstop Tue 23-Apr-13 21:17:52

Hi has anyone been told to take a higher (5mg) dose of folic acid because they are overweight? I came across an article on babycentre which said women with a BMI>30 needed a higher dose. My GP hasn't heard of this but just wondered if it was not widely known or something.

andadietcoke Tue 23-Apr-13 21:22:27

I'm on 5mg folic acid. It was never clear to me whether it was because my BMI is >30 or because I'm having twins. I have to get it on prescription because otherwise it's 11 of the tablets you get from Boots etc.

Kimmy1986 Tue 23-Apr-13 22:00:07

Yes, just got it on Friday, she said its given to anybody with a bmi over 30, and mine is 34. I live in Scotland so maybe it's a scottish thing?

onceipopicantstop Wed 24-Apr-13 07:22:08

Thanks am seeing GP today anyway so will ask if she can double check. I had good intention of losing some weight but keep falling off the wagon!

onceipopicantstop Wed 24-Apr-13 07:30:35

Just found the guidelines on the Royal College of Obstetricians website and is quite clear on there.

Kimmy1986 Wed 24-Apr-13 08:10:06

Oh I know, it's easier said than done though! I lost two stone so I'm determined I'm keeping if off, so still going to go to my fat club. The joys of life!

onceipopicantstop Wed 24-Apr-13 09:29:23

Well done on the weight loss! I've been yo-yoing since having DS 3 years ago. Annoyed with myself as thought I was overweight before I had him and can now see I was quite slim! Am now a SAHM and find it very difficult not to snack! At least in work it wasn't possible to eat all day! Am thinking of trying SW again as have heard they are happy for members to be TTC/pregnant.

Ruralninja Wed 24-Apr-13 09:47:27

I think the Nhs advice is 5mg if bmi is over 30

Kimmy1986 Wed 24-Apr-13 11:47:54

Thankyou! Well it's scottish slimmers I've been doing and they're quite happy for you to continue too, I get more checks too! Silver linings and all that...... Ha!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now