Talk

Advanced search

Anyone with a 'bicornuate' uterus?

(16 Posts)
Bezza2508 Fri 19-Apr-13 14:51:13

I have just been told following an internal scan that I have a bicornuate uterus.

My GP told me this morning but admitted that it was something he did not know much about. He said it increased my chance of having a miscarriage but was non-comittal about whether or not it would affect my chances of conceiving.

Does anyone have any experience of this and know whether or not it does affect your chances of conceiving?

He said surgery may be an option to correct the problem but things that I have read on the internet since then suggest that there is no surgery for this type of uterus abnormality. If anyone has any experience they could share I'd be really grateful as I am just not sure what this diagnosis means at the moment.

My GP is writing to the gynaecologist to see what their recommendations are regarding next steps. X

Cavort Fri 19-Apr-13 14:57:59

Not me but I have a friend who has a bicornuate uterus. She successfully conceived her two DC's relatively quickly which resulted in two healthy daughters. The only issue she had was that the babies did not have the room to turn so she had to have two ELCS for breech.

jennimoo Fri 19-Apr-13 14:58:50

Someone in my antenatal group has one. She's just had her second child (so has conceived!) but due to her shape both have ended up breech, but all healthy.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with some more info, but I think it's more common than people realise as unless you are scanned for some reason (or I think they can tell when you have a c section) you'd never know.

SomeBear Fri 19-Apr-13 14:59:52

I have one - 3 relatively straightforward pregnancies and no issue with conception. I didn't even realise it was an issue until very recently when I had an ovarian cyst and the sonographer commented as it was difficult to do an external scan...

SomeBear Fri 19-Apr-13 15:02:00

I had difficult deliveries with 2 out of 3 due to positioning (one back-to-back, one transverse) but never made the connection between that and my unusual uterus. I guess it might be a factor?

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Fri 19-Apr-13 15:05:41

I have one. Not sure about how major it is but I have had two children. I had bleeding in the first pregnancy although I did t know I was so assumed it was a period therefore I can't say whether it was down to the uterus or implantation bleeding etc. I found out too late for it to have been picked up at the 12 week scan first and only scan was at 27 weeks. However second pregnancy I experienced alot if problems and was told that bicornate uterus left me at greater risk of bleeding in pregnancy. No one however committed to my problems being as a result of a bicornate uterus or just bad luck.

MrsBungle Fri 19-Apr-13 15:06:30

I have one. As far as I was told there are different 'severities' of it. For example, mine is love heart shaped which is mild and so caused no problems at all in either of my pregnancies.

Some people, though have one where it really reduces the space that the baby has to grow and babies can be born early. Sorry, I am not an expert but I guess you need to find out how severe the shape of your bicornuate uterus is.

I wonder if you show your scan picture to your midwife - even she might be able to say by looking at it?

racmun Fri 19-Apr-13 15:07:13

I have one. I scared witless after having an internal scan that I would have problems with miscarriages. I have one ds who is 2.8 and am pregnant again and so far so good.

My ds was born 6 weeks early and they think that the reason was because he ran out of room - he was always on my right side but other than I had a perfectly normal pregnancy.

As far as I know doesn't cause conception problems x

Having subsequently spoken to a few people its not as rare as I was lead to believe and I know quite a few people who have children with a BC uterus.

MrsBungle Fri 19-Apr-13 15:08:47

I didn't mean "even she might be able to say" in the way that came across! I just mean your midwife might be able to tell whether you have a mild love heart shaped uterus like mine or a more severe shaped uterus.

AmberLeaf Fri 19-Apr-13 15:12:18

Me.

Mine was discovered when I was pregnant with my second child.

Mine is like MrsBungles 'heart shaped' with no dividing septum.

A couple of miscarriages which may or may not have been related, but I had 3 normal pregnancies and births, one of which was back to back.

It did affect the position of the top of my fundus, so when MWs measured from where it should have been, I was noted to have a small for dates bump. It wasn't really, it just started off centre to the right instead!

Really does depend on the severity ie is it shaped like a Y or if its heart shaped but with a dividing septum.

Good luck with the gynae.

Bezza2508 Fri 19-Apr-13 15:17:29

Thanks for all the responses ladies. Seems its not too uncommon then!

It's a bit unclear from my original post but I'm not actually pregnant at the moment (I had the scan for other reasons) but I have been trying for around 7 months which was why I wondered if anyone had any epxerience in it causing trouble conceiving (although I appreciate I have not actually been trying that long!)

Lamazeroo Fri 19-Apr-13 15:24:14

I know a woman with a bicornate uterus who had years of miscarriages and sub fertility before diagnosis. She sought help from an acupuncturist, got pregnant, had a normal pregnancy then a difficult delivery.

crazyhead Fri 19-Apr-13 20:44:42

They thought I had one in my first pg, wrongly as it turned out - misdiagnosis due to bleeding. Anyway, as part of my pointless worrying, I joined an amazing US led Yahoo group linked from here http://mulleriananomalies.blogspot.co.uk/ - they had linked consultants who you could ask questions about it.

I learned that one of the issues with bicornuate uterus is that it often gets diagnosed when septate uterus is actually the problem (basically a septum through a normal shaped uterus) is the problem. Septate uterus can be much more easily operated on but if you have it, it really does cause big miscarriage issues. I'd read up on this just to make sure you're getting the right treatment - seriously, brilliant group.

crazyhead Fri 19-Apr-13 20:45:05

PS sorry for typos, exhausted.

Bezza2508 Sat 20-Apr-13 09:40:33

Thanks Crazyhead, that's really helpful. I will have a look at the group!

DeathMetalMum Mon 22-Apr-13 13:56:37

I have a heart shaped uterus. I found this out after the birth of my second dc quite recently. In my case I had no problems at all with conceiving or pregnancy. Though it did cause a retained placenta in an otherwise straightforward birth with dc2. This meant I had to be rushed to theatre shortly after the birth to have it removed.

My mum also has a heart shaped uterus and had five children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now