Talk

Advanced search

Advice from Charters re. temps

(8 Posts)
Squigglypig Thu 18-Apr-13 08:44:01

Hi there

This is my third time TTC and it's always taken me a long time to get pregnant - just under a year with DD1, another year for the next pregnancy which resulted in a MMC at 12 weeks in November 2012. I've been trying again properly since my cycles kicked in again (28 days after I naturally had the miscarriage).

With the first pregnancy I finally got pregnant the first month after using a clearblue fertility monitor, acupuncture and herbs (I'd had enough was on a proper mission). The second time I was trying I tried acupuncture, hypnotherapy (I'd had a traumatic time giving birth so thought that might be blocking me), OPKs and eventually got pregnant on the one month I thought it would never happen as I hadn't done anything and on top of that I was massively stressed as it was the week we were completing on a house move.

I've also noticed since trying to concieve that I seem to spot up to a week before I get my period, which usually only lasts 3 days.

I've been using OPKs which have indicated I've been ovulating, and this month I decided to try temping as well (although I'm not so organised as to keep a chart, it's on my phone). I hadn't managed to remember to take my temp every morning but I was really pleased when I got a clear temperature rise from a mean temp of 36.5 to 37.4 two days after my positive OPK.

It stayed consistently 37.4 for 4 dpo, then on 5PO it reduced to 37.2. I worried about this but hoped it might be a blip, but then yesterday it was 37.1 and today it was 36.9.

As I've read that the temperature post ovulation should stay high until 1 or 2 days before AF, do you think I should go and see my GP about this, as I am pretty confident I'm ovulating normally but not so confident that my body is doing what it needs to do to make life easy for any potential fertilised eggs.

Or alternatively is there anything I can do about my BBT to keep it high long enough for any fertilised egg to have a chance of implanting.

Sorry for the long post - I'd be really grateful for any advice.

Thanks - Anna

tasmaniandevilchaser Thu 18-Apr-13 08:53:42

Hi it's been a while since I charted but I remember high temps are down to progesterone levels, maybe yours aren't high enough? You could ask your GP for a 21 day hormone test, especially as you've been TTC for a while now. Or get back to what you were doing when you conceived your DC, acupuncture etc. sorry about your mmc, I had one in nov 2012 as well. Hope you have better luck soon.

tasmaniandevilchaser Thu 18-Apr-13 08:56:13

Just seen the bit about spotting, def thinking about low progesterone. I used the book taking charge of your fertility , it has a website as well you can join for free. I found it really useful. How long is your luteal phase?

lightrain Thu 18-Apr-13 09:00:50

No - your temp drops just before AF, not after. BBT staying up after when AF is due would be a sign of pregnancy.

To be accurate, you really need to take your temp at the same time every morning, every day (a pain, I know, but its really a great way to see when you're ovulating - I found it much more helpful than OPKs). Are you using fertility friend app? There's a help section on there that is really helpful and full of info. I also recommend a book called 'taking charge of your fertility' by Toni Weschler.

Good luck!

Squigglypig Thu 18-Apr-13 09:11:15

I am taking the temp before I get out of bed every morning, but I have had a couple of rough nights (the toddler waking up at 4.30 am yesterday didn't help). Also it ties in with the spotting.

I'm just conscious that the NHS guidance to TTC for 6 months before you go and see your GP if over 35 (I'm 36), and last time I went to see the GP about this (my previous GP before I moved) he was pretty dismissive and said I should have waited a year (it was 11 months). I had the blood tests at 7 days but never got the results and I then got pregnant about a month and a half later so never purused it.

My new GP seems a bit nicer. Maybe I'll try it and if that's no good I'll go back to the chinese quack and get some more of those horrid pills and see if that helps.

tasmaniandevilchaser Thu 18-Apr-13 09:29:05

I'd go back to the GP and insist on the 21 day test. And get the tcoyf book. Disturbed sleep will affect temps tho.

lightrain Thu 18-Apr-13 18:09:08

If you were up with the toddler then our temps won't be accurate, so try not to worry too much.

I'd second going back to the GP - especially if its a new one. Push for consultant appointment, I agree with Tasmanian.

Squigglypig Thu 18-Apr-13 19:54:49

Thanks for the advice. Appointment booked for a couple of weeks time. And I booked a long overdue smear too, which I'm feeling pretty virtuous about shines halo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now