Talk

Advanced search

False positives on clearblue ovulation sticks?

(3 Posts)
Sprite21 Wed 17-Apr-13 13:10:57

Right, my clear blue ovulation predictor just said I'm ovulating. We have been TTC for 6 months but just started using the clear blue. I was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries prior to conceiving dd so I'm sceptical about the clear blue indication.

I know they don't work with Pcos but I've just been for a scan and doctor said ovaries are only mildly polycystic and there was one egg clearly larger than the others which indicates I may ovulate this month.

I'm trying not to get too excited, does anyone know if you can get a false positive?
Thanks.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 17-Apr-13 13:36:26

This scenario does happen all too easily if the ovaries are polycystic.

What the clearblue stick has picked up is an LH surge and these can easily happen more than once a month. Infact with PCO there
are often multiple surges of LH so the kit may just be reading that and giving you a false positive result.

For a far more accurate picture of your hormones and ovulation I would be looking to see if blood tests can be done regularly as well as internal ultrasound scans to check that an egg is leaving the ovary.

Sprite21 Wed 17-Apr-13 17:37:10

Thanks Atilla, I suspected as much but still feeling a bit deflated. I went to my GP a few weeks ago and he ordered a day 5 blood test and the internal scan that indicated I was mildly poly cystic.
Still, the timing is right for this positive so I am still going to requisition DH's services tonight, just in case.
I will see GP again tomorrow so we'll see what he says.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now