Talk

Advanced search

TTC for first time with endometriosis, looking for some positive vibes!

(3 Posts)
Isean Tue 16-Apr-13 15:52:29

Hello,

I have been lurking for a while now, but this is my first post blush

My DP (25) and I (32, almost 33) have recently started the emotional rollercoaster that is TTC our first.

I was diagnosed with endometriosis when I was 19. Since my early teenage years I have had all sorts of different treatments, medication and surgery to ease the symptoms.

This is my second time TTC. The first time was a couple of years ago for about 10 months with my ex-husband following removal of mirena coil. I never conceived in that time (which is probably a blessing given the fact he is now my ex-husband!). I then went on the pill (Marvelon) for 2 and a half years and finished my last packet 5 weeks ago.

I am trying to be relaxed about it all and we're having sex every other day, so I don't want to get too wound up about charting or OPKs yet! I had a "period" a couple of days after finishing my pill, I'm now CD31 and I understand that my first cycle may be long and my cycles irregular for a while (that hasn't stopped me turning into a complete fruit loop in the last week!)

I'm just looking for a wee bit of reassurance and some positivity! Anyone out there with endometriosis? Any advice?

Thanks in advance lovely mumsnetters! smile

putthecrispsDOWN Tue 16-Apr-13 22:57:17

Hi Isean

I have stage 4 endo, affecting most of my reproductive organs. I have reduced fertility as a result of a) endom adhesions creating damage and cysts and b) operations to remove cysts and scarring. I have an AMH of 4.1 (this is very low, and is a measure of follicular potential). My DH and I need IVF to conceive, so it's been a long journey....but on the positive side I have a wonderful (IvF miracle) DD and am halfway throug my third cycle of IVF at the moment.

I would suggest asking your GP to refer you to a consultant if you don't already see one, and asking for some preliminary scans to check for endometriosis etc if you are worried. Having said that, every case is hugely different and you may notnneed any assistance. How long have you been ttc? Have you had any ops?

Isean Wed 17-Apr-13 14:00:58

Hi putthecrispsDOWN,

Thank you so much for replying! I'm sorry to read of your difficulties, but happy to hear of your DD! smile

I have had a couple of ops, the last one at least 7 years ago. It used to be bad, but surgery helped. I don't remember ever being told what stage endo I had, but I don't think it was as severe as yours sounds.

When I had the Mirena coil in I didn't have a period the whole time, but they were bad when I came off it TTC the first time round. It has been more manageable, lighter and less painful on the pill, I know when it is coming and I plan around it knowing what I can and can't do at that time. I'm nervous for my first proper period as I don't know what to expect.
When I was TTC the first time I went to the GP and all he said was that I would have to see how it goes and try to manage my periods with pain relief, etc. and I didn't conceive within a year then they would begin investigating. I wonder if it is worth going back to the GP and asking for more info from my own medical notes and asking how long a referral would take?

I've only been off the pill for 5 weeks, so still very early days. I'm prepared for it to take a long time, if it will happen at all. I am just a bit anxious due to the endometriosis and I think I am just being a bit of a pessimist as then I can handle any disappointments better!

I am wishing you all the luck in the world with your IVF flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now