Talk

Advanced search

Drugs before pregnancy, help?

(4 Posts)
CassieSamAndBump Sun 14-Apr-13 19:30:39

Firstly this is for a friend not for me i've not touched drugs.

My friend is 21 and gave up drugs 6 months ago after being on them for about 18 months, mostly meow but also speed, coke, mdma, shrooms and ket.
We were talking earlier about how amazing conception and stuff is when we thought about how a girl is born with all her eggs therefore her taking drugs could of damaged them, she knows it reduces her chance of getting pregnant she can live with that but she's now terrified if she does become pregnant then her baby could have something wrong with it due to her previously taking drugs, is this possible, if so how likely?

Thanks in advance smile

Thumbtack Mon 15-Apr-13 07:22:31

Its unlikely - think of all the hippies in the 60's and 70's!

A condition comes up through chance or genetics - I dont think previous drug taking (obv not during pregnancy) will effect baby - I dont think

I also know lots of previous drug takers who went on to give up drugs and then eventually have a healthy babies

Good Luck

Thumbtack Mon 15-Apr-13 07:29:26

I've been a landlady of a pub for years which is why i know previous drug takers btw

AmandaCooper Mon 15-Apr-13 07:59:25

AFAIK there is no reason to think that recreational drug taking can damage existing eggs. I believe there is some evidence to suggest that it can impact on the healthy development of sperm, therefore some advise men to abstain from taking them for a full sperm life cycle (I think 90 days) before ttc. I don't have any links sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now