Talk

Advanced search

Lemsip Max, big oops?

(5 Posts)
eccentrica Fri 12-Apr-13 15:14:57

Hi all

I have one daughter aged 2.7 and we have just decided to start trying to conceive a second baby. Stopped using contraception a couple of weeks ago, and first baby was unplanned, so this is all very new to me.

Anyway, this week was my fertile week so we have been ahem at it like clockwork. However, I've also had a really rotten cold and have had to work, so I've been dosing up on Lemsip Max (paracetamol/phenylephrine/caffeine) as well as decongestant (xylometazoline) every day this week. I had a quick look online today, and turns out it's a really bad idea and you are absolutely not meant to take it when you're pregnant OR trying to get pregnant. Not totally clear why this is,but it's a definite no-no.

Never even occurred to me that it would be a bad idea (I understand the need to be careful what you take once you're actually pregnant, but as first pregnancy was unplanned I have never actively tried to conceive before) so I'm now feeling pretty stupid and like I have completely wasted this month's opportunity to get pregnant.

Just wondered if anyone else had similar experience or any advice?

Thanks smile

eccentrica Fri 12-Apr-13 16:27:51

Really, no reassuring anecdotes at all? :-(

NewlywedUpTheDuff Fri 12-Apr-13 16:31:42

I wouldn't let it worry you too much, people take these things all time who don't know their pregnant. I suppose now you know the important thing is to stop taking them, but don't beat yourself up about it smile

TakingTheStairs Fri 12-Apr-13 16:32:55

Hi,

Don't worry! I believe there is ibuprofen in Lemsip Max and (according to this "Ibuprofen reduces the body's production of prostaglandins, needed for ovulation and implantation of the embryo in the uterus."
You haven't wasted it, it may still happen, but it also may not. FX for you

eccentrica Fri 12-Apr-13 18:56:32

It's quite tense isn't it??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now