Talk

Advanced search

The pioneer of IVF dies

(11 Posts)
EuroShaggleton Wed 10-Apr-13 22:00:16

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-22091873

This has been rather overshadowed by the news of Mrs T's death, but I think many of us on this board will be grateful for his research so I thought he deserved a thread.

Very few of us want IVF, but quite a few of us are grateful that we have the option.

highlove Wed 10-Apr-13 22:14:54

Thanks for this Euro, I saw the news today and did think where we'd (as in me and DH) be if it wasn't for him. I guess where we'd be is where we are - childless - but we'd be childless without hope. As you say, IVF is the last thing I'd ever want but it's a means to end and we've no hope of our own family any other way. So a big thanks to Sir Robert from me.

HesterShaw Wed 10-Apr-13 22:47:04

I'm not a believer but God bless him anyway. He's brought joy and hope to so many around the world.

littlebitofthislittlebitofthat Wed 10-Apr-13 22:50:46

My dd is here thanks to him. Thank you x

JellyBeanDavey Thu 11-Apr-13 07:06:16

Raise a glass to him. My best friend had her first child IVF and and has had 3 others naturally and 1 lil accident on the way smile

An amazing man!

YoniMitchell Thu 11-Apr-13 07:08:51

We're going through IVF now, it's thanks to him that we have this opportunity to (hopefully) be parents. Bless him.

cherrycoconut Thu 11-Apr-13 07:33:29

Amen to that Euro, an amazing legacy to leave the world. Thanks Prof Edwards, rest in peace.

alwyn Thu 11-Apr-13 09:11:35

Well done that man - rest in peace.

Solars Thu 11-Apr-13 09:17:06

What a wonderful gift of hope Sir Edwards has left behind for us all. I for one am very grateful that we have something to cling on to in our attempt to create a family. Thank you x

PoppadomPreach Thu 11-Apr-13 09:18:02

I owe that man everything.

SouthBySouthWest Thu 11-Apr-13 20:25:07

Without pioneers like him, and the other scientists that have followed in his footsteps, I would not have the two beautiful children that I do.

I, for one, will be raising a glass.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now