Talk

Advanced search

early detection pregnancy tests

(6 Posts)
missingwelliesinsd Tue 09-Apr-13 18:02:56

So I'm going back and forth on whether I should risk using an early detection test on Friday or trying to wait until closer to next Wednesday when my period is due. I kind of wish these bloody early detection tests didn't exist, as then I wouldn't be considering them. I'm not sure how trustworthy they are and I'd probably test again when my period is due whatever the first result is. Are they accurate enough? This my first month to be testing (if you can't tell!).

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 09-Apr-13 19:04:50

It's really better to sit on your hands and wait. The trouble is with testing that early is they are only about 60% accurate. Therefore if its negative all you end up telling yourself is that it's too early. Equally they are sensitive enough that you could get a positive but it could be a chemical pregnancy which is totally heart breaking sad Also if it takes any time to TTC for you if you get in the habit of early testing you will spend a fortune! (Sorry if I sound like the voice of doom, I TTC'd for a long time and I learned the hard way).

Do yourself a favour and buy some cheap ones off amazon/eBay like these and test around the time that AF is due.

All the best TTC smile hope it happens quickly for you.

missingwelliesinsd Tue 09-Apr-13 20:24:50

Thanks for your sensible advice Havingalittlefaith. Logically I know this but it's torture just knowing that I could test on Friday even though the result either way could be wrong.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 09-Apr-13 20:28:41

I got my BFP two days before AF was due and it felt like we literally held our breath waiting to see if the repeat tests would get darker or if AF would turn up as usual! Happily it was the former but believe me that was tough enough (I only tested because I was sick and just wondered if I might be!). Patience is definitely a virtue when it comes to testing smile

EuroShaggleton Tue 09-Apr-13 20:33:07

Personally I just prefer to wait for AF. It's cheaper that way. I made an exception for my IVF cycle because the progesterone would have delayed AF anyway.

I'm on cycle 29 of ttc now so have probably saved myself £££!

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 09-Apr-13 20:41:33

I dread to think how much I've spent....I reigned my testing back when I went to order more Internet cheapies and realised I'd gone through 14 tests in two cycles hmm not healthy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now