Talk

Advanced search

Don't want to be ripped off by OPK

(14 Posts)
Beccadugs Mon 08-Apr-13 22:05:43

Hi mumsnetters,

I'm very new here and just starting the ttc journey! I am a self confessed control freak, and already ahve a nice stash of OPKs in the bathroom cupboard.

Basically they are quite expensive, and I don't really want to start using them on cycle day 6, or whatever the packet suggests as I have a fairly long cycle. I usually ovulate between days 18 and 20, I know this as I suffer quite badly from micklesmerts (sp) (ie have the pain today and positive OPKs) should I start testing a few days before I think I am due to ov, and Dtd plenty in the run up or will the OPKs only tell me once I have ovulated...

I'm a bit confused and possibly overthinking things! confused blush

orangepudding Mon 08-Apr-13 22:09:53

I don't think you need them. You know roughly when you ovulate, I would have sex every other day from day 16 until about 22.

EuroShaggleton Mon 08-Apr-13 22:13:54

I agree. I also have a regular cycle and feel ovulation. I used OPKs for a couple of months to confirm that everything was lining up (+ve opk followed a couple of days later by ov pain) and then stopped. You really don't sound like you need them.

WakeyCakey Tue 09-Apr-13 10:35:21

I agree with the others. I use opk's because my cycles have every varying lengths. If you already know when you ovulate then I wouldn't use them.
Good luck TTC!

EuroShaggleton Tue 09-Apr-13 10:47:01

"or will the OPKs only tell me once I have ovulated"

I missed this bit before. OPKs detect the hormone surge that comes typically 24-48 hrs before ovulation, so they give you a bit of warning rather than telling you that ov has happened.

Puddlelane Tue 09-Apr-13 10:51:55

Sounds like you don't need them if you do want to consider the cheapie sticks on amazon maybe?

Wattage88 Tue 09-Apr-13 16:03:22

Can someone actually tell me how to use them? Ttc #2 and using a period tracker thing... Used one opk when it says I was in my fertile week and it was + do does that mean my charting is correct and should go with it? All very confusing thanks

Puddlelane Tue 09-Apr-13 16:12:37

Yes go with it!
If it all matches up then go go go!

Wattage88 Tue 09-Apr-13 16:32:04

Ha just not happening tho ha il give it another couple of months before actually going down the temping route. AF due Friday.... Hope not!

Puddlelane Tue 09-Apr-13 17:09:34

Tbh I just stuck with opks and tracking my cycle I also tracked cervical mucus. Sounds gross but it's quite telling.

Wattage88 Tue 09-Apr-13 17:14:36

Yea I think I got the mucus almost one week later tho???

Wattage88 Tue 09-Apr-13 17:35:52

Plus I have two trackers and there one day apart with O day?? Looked at another one that's saying I ovulate tomorrow?? Don't understand. Il need to get on it tonight to make double sure hehe X

Beccadugs Tue 09-Apr-13 22:52:08

Thanks everyone... I should have said that while I know when I ovulate (from the pain!) my cycle isn't regular and can be anything from 27 to 35 days. I was think of using the OPKS to give me an idea ahead of time, as don't want to use poor hubby as a sex slave...

And yes, wattage it is all so confusing!

johnnycomelurky Wed 10-Apr-13 07:47:07

I tried a few different OPKs and have some cheap ones off ebay that detect at 10 miu and they actually work for me. They were £2.99 + £1.25 for shipping for 30 test strips and 5 pregnancy tests. You have to pee in a container as they are only little strips but they work just the same. Feel free to PM me if you want the name of he eBay seller.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now