Talk

Advanced search

not ovulating

(6 Posts)
Fuchi Fri 05-Apr-13 22:15:18

Hi all,
Really need some advice: I have had seemingly regular periods for the past two months and just starting a third. But in the last two, OPKs haven't picked up anything. I'm just off the pill. Not sure if I'm not ovulating at all, or just late, or something else. Just wondered if given the periods are regular that indicates I am ovulating. ie, is bleeding more eratic than normal if not ovulating? Also, I normally get bad hormonal headaches with periods and last two months nothing or much more muted. Does this mean not enough progesterone, ie another sign not ovulating. Any thoughts would be great as I really want to get pregnant again and am very conscious of time ticking on.

twentythirteen Fri 05-Apr-13 23:36:17

Hi fuchi, what kind of tests are you using? When I started using Opks I used regular strength shop bought ones and never got a positive. The month I didn't use them I got pg so I don't know if I would have had a positive that month. For the last two times i've tried to get pg I've used the sensitive internet cheapies from home health care and regularly get positives., maybe try these more sensitive ones? Good luck!

Fuchi Sat 06-Apr-13 13:40:54

Thanks for your reply. I was using the mega expensive Clearblue digital - at a total cost of £100. Just bought some "One Step Ovulation Test" cheap ones over the net. Now worried they might not be sensitive enough. Am mainly worried that I'm just not ovulating. I'm 38 and increasingly worried my body has packed up. No point worrying I know. Going to buy some B6 and folic acid this afternoon.

twentythirteen Sun 07-Apr-13 08:24:31

I use the onestep ones, good luck with that and your bvit. Also, I once ovulated ridiculously early, cd10, so it's worth testing from quite soon after af until the end if your cycle to start to get a sense of your rhythm. I know the worry you have. I'm 40. Your Gp can do two blood tests, one each at different times in your cycle, to see if you're ovulating. And privately you can pay to have your follicles checked to see if they're functioning, good luck op!

Sonics Sun 07-Apr-13 08:37:16

Hi Fuchi

I've also had this this month with clear blue digi. Last 2 months I've had a positive quite early in cycle and this month I've had nothing. Like you my periods are quite regular. I read the reviews on amazon of the clear blue digi and it seems this happens to other people (and they also got pregnant in the month they had no positive).

However for peace of mind I'd recommend going to the docs and asking them to do a blood test to check (I've had this done already so I'm more convinced its the tests rather than me!)

FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Sun 07-Apr-13 11:09:09

If you've only been off the pill for 3 months it is highly unlikely that your GP will refer you for tests at this stage.

If your cycles are regular then in all probability you are ovulating. If you are not ovulating/ovulating irregularly then your periods would be all over the place. I have PCOS which prevents me ovulating regularly, my non-medical assisted cycles have ranged between 35 and 177 days!

Odds are you simply missed your LH surge this time. The surge can last for as little as a few hours so can be easy to miss. I wouldn't treat OPKs as the gospel either. I tried the CBFM for 4 months and it only detected my LH surge in one cycle, despite blood tests confirming I had ovulated normally in the other 3.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now