Talk

Advanced search

Are homes tests reliable? Is this really it?!

(15 Posts)
Leonas Fri 05-Apr-13 19:18:42

Been TTC for over a year and after feeling a 'bit funny' (really no better way to describe it!) I took a test last night and it was positive. We then went to the shops are got another 2 tests (different brands and types, just in case) and they were both positive too. Went to the doctor today and I have to hand in a urine sample for a lab test on Monday (too late to do it today) and the hospital will confirm but the doc said this is it! DP doesn't want to get his hopes up till it is confirmed officially but is he being to cautious?
I know this probably sounds stupid but can I trust the home tests? Am unbelievably excited but am worried I'm jumping the gun!

upjacobscreekwithoutapaddle Fri 05-Apr-13 19:22:24

You are pregnant! Congratulations. Very very rare to get false positives especially on 3 tests. :-)

TiredFeet Fri 05-Apr-13 19:23:06

Yes home tests are reliable smile my doctor has just taken my word for it that I am pregnant on the basis of home tests. I think you can let yourself get a bit excited! Congratulations!

SunnyRandall Fri 05-Apr-13 19:23:55

Congratulations! flowers

RubyrooUK Fri 05-Apr-13 19:26:50

Yes my doctor/hospital won't confirm pregnancy at all (unless there are problems along the way) as home tests are so accurate these days.

Congratulations. grin

Leonas Fri 05-Apr-13 19:27:03

Eek, thank you! I think we will both feel more relaxed/excited when we get the 'official' confirmation but I just wanted to hear from real people (not the packaging from the tests!) that they are accurate. It is so weird, we have just got the ball rolling with the fertility clinic after taking a break because I had to have my Rubella vaccination and the same week I find out I'm already pregnant!

EuroShaggleton Fri 05-Apr-13 19:27:17

He's being too cautious. I'm surprised your dr bothered sending a sample to the lab. From what I have seen on here most don't. The strips they use to test are apparently the same as the cheapie ones from ebay anyway. Congratulations!

ginmakesitallok Fri 05-Apr-13 19:28:13

Congratulations! Very surprised your gp did an extra test, they no longer do those here.

willyoulistentome Fri 05-Apr-13 19:28:57

How lovely.

Leonas Fri 05-Apr-13 19:37:04

GP said the hospital here will only accept you are pregnant if they do their own test - Scottish Borders like to do things the old fashioned way!

TiredFeet Fri 05-Apr-13 19:41:51

leonas we were similar, after 19 months of ttc I found out we were pregnant the day before we were booked to discuss results of DH's fertility tests with gp. So instead we got to tell him I was pregnant grin. Never did find out the results of the test! This time round I am pregnant after one lot of unprotected sex shock

Wishing you all the best!

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Fri 05-Apr-13 19:41:54

Congratulations! I hope you have a smooth and healthy pregnancy with a wonderful pain-free woo birth at the end! thanks

pettyprudence Fri 05-Apr-13 19:52:01

You are pregnant - congratulations!!!

Another one here whose GP nor midwife did any further test. My bff is a pharmacist and she said the home test are as good as, if not better, than the nhs tests. PG tests detect a hormone which is only made in pregnancy so (almost) impossible to get a false negative grin

Puddlelane Sun 07-Apr-13 13:31:26

Hurray hurray! You are pregnant!

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sun 07-Apr-13 13:45:47

Congratulations!

The GP insisted on doing their own test with me when I fell pg with my DD, my PFB - I was in the Highlands & Islands then, I think it is a 'thing' they do in Scotland!

Again, Congratulations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now