Talk

Advanced search

hello and help - day 1-5 blood tests

(12 Posts)
lostinbooks Fri 05-Apr-13 10:52:56

Hello, just wondering if anyone can help with a question about the day 1-5 blood tests? I usually have fairly regular cycles so booked a blood test for next Tuesday which should have been day 2 or 3. However, this month my body decided to give me a 25 day cycle and I started my period at about 8pm last night after spotting through the afternoon so now Tuesday would be day 6 but I'm away until Monday night so can't change the appointment. So... should I still go for the test or should I just book in the day 21 tests instead and leave these until next month?

EuroShaggleton Fri 05-Apr-13 11:09:08

Personally I'd leave it to next month.

lostinbooks Fri 05-Apr-13 11:12:56

Thanks Euro - that's what I was thinking. I'm fed up of waiting as I couldn't get the day 21 tests because of Easter but guess it's better to have them done when they'll actually mean something!

EuroShaggleton Fri 05-Apr-13 11:28:06

Particularly as you had a short cycle this month, it's possible that your hormones will be starting to ramp up by day 6, so it won't give the "early cycle" reading that they want to have.

I had the same issue re: blood tests and bank holidays when I had mine done 2 years ago. Spring is particularly awkward for this because of the lovely days off!

lostinbooks Fri 05-Apr-13 11:45:59

Unfortunately, or fortunately - I can never decide, all the lovely holidays are rolled up into my annual leave so I forget that everyone else is off when I'm still working...

I stopped taking the pill just over 18 months (21 cycles) ago and did pretty well at not worrying (too much) for the first year - getting married was a good distraction - I used ov tests from about 7 months and had positives every month, but when it hit 18 months we realised we couldn't keep hoping that one more month would do it. Bit of a shock to go to the GP and just hear 'well you've given it a good go, you need these tests and I'm referring you to the infertility clinic.' Pleased it was so straight forward but think husb was quite thrown by it and is now stressing about getting his sample to the hospital next week. Anyway, it feels much better knowing there's the start of a plan. Now I just have to decide whether to tell my, rather stressed out, Mum when I see her this weekend. Not sure that she needs anything else to worry about just now.

EuroShaggleton Fri 05-Apr-13 12:07:15

I feel for you. I'm on cycle 29 of this shyte now! It's good that your GP is talking about referring you though - some people have to fight for that. I'd tell your husband that producing the sample at home and rushing it in is infintely preferable to producing one in the clinic mastabatorium (according to my husband) so he should think of this as a nice trial run!

Lots of people have supportive mums on here. Mine wasn't great, unfortunately, which was odd as we are usually close. I guess it's worth telling her if you think she would be supportive, otherwise you can wait until some future point when it is a better time?

lostinbooks Fri 05-Apr-13 14:10:52

Cycle 29 :-( I'm sorry to hear that. It is utter shit. I keep making up abitrary deadlines in my mind - 'as long as I'm pregnant by... ' the next one is in time to have a baby before I turn 35 which gives me another 6 months or so.

I think I'll refrain from any mention of mastabatoriums until it's needed... thankfully we don't live too far away from the hospital! My Mum is great and would definitely be supportive but I worry about heaping more worry on her shoulders even though I'm sure she would rather know. Guess I'll decide whether there seems to be a good time over the weekend.

EuroShaggleton Fri 05-Apr-13 14:27:35

Yep, this has gone on for far too long. I started trying when I was 34 - I'm 37 now! I actually got pregnant (via IVF) on cycle 28, but miscarried, so here I am, back to square one.

We're unexplained by the way - nothing wrong with either of us that should be stopping us getting pregnant, on paper at least. But clearly there is some undiagnosed issue otherwise IVF wouldn't have worked first time.

FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Fri 05-Apr-13 14:55:44

Surely Tuesday is Day 5 as today is Day 1 of your cycle.

lostinbooks Fri 05-Apr-13 15:44:18

God, that's awful for you Euro - to miscarry at the point when you just think it has worked... I'm really sorry you had to go through that.

Isn't today day 2 Frankelly? I usually count it as soon as it is a proper flow rather than just spotting but doesn't it count as day 1 if it is that late in the day? I've cancelled the appointment anyway and have made my day 21 appointment instead - thought it was better to wait until I can definitely go on an earlier day rather than worrying about something not being right.

EuroShaggleton Fri 05-Apr-13 15:57:37

I think frank mentions this as being day 1 because a lot of clinics say day 1 is the next day if bleeding starts after 3pm (for reasons I don't understand).

lostinbooks Fri 05-Apr-13 16:28:57

Ah, I see (sort of) - I've booked my day 21 test based on yesterday being day 1 (most recent cycles have been 31, 30, 28, 30, 28 and 25 days), do you think that's okay?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now