Talk

Advanced search

Endometriosis - anyone get pg with this condition?

(19 Posts)
3catstoo Wed 10-May-06 13:01:59

Hi,
I've recently found out that I probably have endometriosis. I thought I had fibriods but gyny thinks more likely to be endo. Not confirmed yet though.
I've heard mixed messages about getting pg with this. My Mum has it and took 6 years to get pg with me and I'm an only child.
Other people have said you can still get pg easily with it.
I already have 3 children and think that this has only developed in the last 10 months.
I still want one more baby. If I can persuade DH, what are my chances of conceiving?
Has anyone had any experience with this? Good or bad I'd like to know.
Feeling a bit down about this as I'm only 31 and feel that although I have 3 wonderful children I don't want the choice to have more taken away (apart from DH denying me !)
Any feedback would be gratefully received.

xxxx

littlerach Wed 10-May-06 13:16:18

A friend of mine had this, and it did take a while to conceive.
However, once she'd had her first child, she got pg again withhte second 18 months later, and her third a year afetr that.

SaintGeorge Wed 10-May-06 13:20:09

Ironically, pregnancy is probably the closest thing you can get to a 'cure' for endometriosis.

One of the treatments available is a course of hormones that con your body into thinking you are pregnant, so you stop ovulating for 9 or 10 months.

If you have only had problems fairly recently and you already have children then the chances are it wont stop you concieving again unless you leave it a long time. The more established the endo, the more difficult to concieve and carry to full term.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 10-May-06 13:39:24

3catstoo,

I had fertility treatment as I was not ovulating (due to PCOS). It was during ovarian diathermy surgery that it was discovered I had endo as well (no wonder I had been in pain all these years, I now knew why). I conceived two months post operation but equally I do know of women who have taken longer to conceive following surgery.

Presumably you will be having a laparoscopy - that is the way that endo is diagnosed. Blood tests and ultrasounds won't detect it.

Endo is very much an engimatic disease - it is not fully understood what causes it although there are several theories. My advice is to educate yourself about this if you indeed have it. The website of the National Endometriosis Society is a good one with a lively message board and a helpline. The NES publication called "Endometriosis and Fibroids" is also well worth reading along with being understandable to a lay person.

I wish you well.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 10-May-06 13:40:20

www.endo.org.uk is the website of the NES.

3catstoo Wed 10-May-06 14:19:27

thank you ladies.

Yes I do have to have a laparoscopy. I have to have a scan first to rule out the fibroids but the gyny said he thinks the scan will be clear.
My mum and her 3 sisters all had endo and fibriods so I knew I was in line for something. They all had hysterectomies in their mid to late 30's. I know this op is not done routinly now. The hormonal drugs sound a bit scary, especially the list of side effects.
I realise I'm jumping the gun a bit but I wanted to be aware before finding out for definate.

Thanks again

Rachee Thu 11-May-06 23:38:39

that endo website is great....

don't worry about hormones, go on the depo injection, i had no side affects ( or periods) so it was a dream !!

xXx

TuttiFrutti Fri 12-May-06 17:53:53

3cats, I have friends who have got pregnant with endo easily so it can be done, but obviously it can cause problems.

I have fibroids but not endo, but think both conditions are not well understood, and you can have either condition in varying degrees. I got pregnant straight away first time round, but I needed a C-section for the birth and the doctors were amazed at the state of my womb when they opened it up - apparently fibroids like mine would normally have caused difficulties conceiving and/or a miscarriage. I'm now treating my fibroids through diet, which seems to be working well (as far as I can tell without having a scan) although most GPs think diet has no effect.

I've no idea if diet has any effect on endo but it might be worth investigating.

3catstoo Sat 13-May-06 14:05:28

Hi TF,
Interesting about diet. What changes have you made?
I'm a veggie so hope it doesn't involve eating more fish (everything seems to advise that no matter what's wrong).
I'm due a scan in 2 weeks to rule out fibroids.
Thanks.

Hayls Sat 13-May-06 14:52:50

I had endo and had laparoscopy to diagnose first and tried different hormone treatments with little success. I had another lap to remove it (pill helped until then but didn't want to take it long term). I wasn't trying to ttc during this time so I don;t know if it affected my fertility but I stopped taking the pill in Jan 03 and was apregnant by April (we weren't actually trying)so in my case it was fine.

Good luck!

TuttiFrutti Sat 13-May-06 17:49:55

3cats: no red meat (obviously not relevant in your case)
cut down dairy products as much as you can (I now have soya milk instead of cow's milk, and no cheese)
eat beans once a day - cannillini, haricot, kidney, whatever
eat brown rice once a day
lots of flaxseed oil and crushed flaxseeds
no unfiltered tap water
oily fish (sorry!)
no food wrapped in plastic
no chemical deodorants or body lotions

But that's a programme written for me, so it might be different for someone else. I'm also taking supplements including milk thistle for my liver. My nutritionist's theory is that hormone imbalances are partly caused by taking in too much hormone (via tap water, red water, chemicals) and partly by not getting rid of them efficiently through the liver.

TuttiFrutti Sat 13-May-06 17:52:25

Forgot to say: all vegetables must be organic
AND cut right down on caffeine

It's a bit of a lentil weaver's paradise, but it does seem to be working so I will keep going with it.

Nixz Sat 13-May-06 18:33:03

I have endometreosis, PCOS and a blocked fallopian tube.
I had dd 5.6 years ago but have not fell since.
I think it depends on where it is in your body and to what extent.
I have had endometriosis since i was a teenager, since having dd it is not as painful, although my periods are so irregular thats its a right pain in the bum!

3catstoo Sat 13-May-06 21:03:58

I didn't know they could remove it!
I guess I have to wait to see if and where it is.
The diet stuff sounds good though. I only buy organic veg. I do eat alot of dairy and drink caffinated tea. Perhaps I'll try jigging my diet a bit and see if that helps with the pain.
My periods are irregular too with spotting for upto 5 days before. Sex is painful (sorry if TMI) but not every time and not always in the same position. It feels to me like DH is hitting something and he feels that way too. In 10 years we've never felt like that so somethings going on down there.
I also feel so tired which is not like me. Yet cannot sleep at night.

Sorry I'm waffling on now. DH has had to help out at an event at our village hall, at very short notice. So it's me and the computer tonight!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend ladies.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 13-May-06 21:41:07

3catstoo,

Oh yes, endo deposits can be removed (its usually lasered out). Unfortunately they can also recur. They can be sited in various parts of the body apart from the womb.

Deep pain during sex (dyspareunia) is highly indicative of endometriosis I am sorry to report. It can also be felt during certain sexual positions, whereas other women find intercourse impossible in any position.

Has anyone ever investigated why your periods are irregular?. I only ask as often such problems are due to hormonal imbalances.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 13-May-06 21:46:14

Nixz,

I can very much relate to your situation and empathise. I too have had endo and PCOS since starting menstruation - I realise that now although totally unaware at that time.

In my case I was not diagnosed with either till I was in my early 30s. I am now a parent following diathermy surgery for both the endo and PCOS (is this an option wthat has been suggested to your good self?) but have not had any further children.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 13-May-06 21:48:28

3catstoo,

WOuld suggest you try to get a hold of the NES (National Endometriosis Society) publication mentioned earlier in this thread. It also amongst other things gives info on diet.

www.endo.org.uk is the website of the NES. A very good website to read.

3catstoo Wed 17-May-06 20:02:57

Hi again,

My irregular periods had been treated with the oral contraceptive pill, before starting a family. Since having my 3rd 2 years ago my periods have gone a bit nuts with spotting for upto a week beforehand.
It was only 4 months ago that I decided to see the GP about it. He did an internal and said everything seemed OK but he referred me because of the family history of fibroids and endometriosis. I saw the gyny 2 weeks ago and he suspected endometriosis. I am due to have a scan on 8th June but won't see the gyny for the results until 29th June. A bit of a waiting game. The scan is just to rule out fibroids and then I will have to have a laparoscopy (goodness knows when).

I looked on that site and it was very helpful, thanks.

Chloe55 Wed 17-May-06 20:48:26

It took me a year to get pg with ds who is now 3mth old. I had a laproscopy to remove the lesions.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: