Talk

Advanced search

referral to fertility clinic

(5 Posts)
omama Tue 26-Mar-13 23:10:26

Is it right that gp cant refer to fertility clinic until they have results of both mine & dh's initial fertility tests?

This is what my gp has told me, but earliest appt dh could get to hand in his sample for analysis is 7th may.

I've had my tests already & my progesterone level was v v low (<1) so seems crazy to me to have to wait for dh's results when we already know we need the referral for further investigations based on mine. Isnt it just wasting time by waiting???

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 27-Mar-13 06:33:22

You should be referred on now particularly as it can take some considerable time for an appt to come through. Although this was some years back I was referred without the GP doing any tests at all beforehand.

Have a read of the NICE guidelines as well.

I would see another GP within the practice and if they continue to be unhelpful consider changing GP practice.

GlaikitHasHerFizzBack Wed 27-Mar-13 06:40:03

It might be your PCTs rules. I think when we were referred they did it on the back of my tests, then dh had to provide his samples twice 4 weeks apart. But it was just a drop in at the clinic itself. He could go anytime.

barkingtreefrog Wed 27-Mar-13 08:04:21

They were the rules for us, the form the gp had to fill in for referral had to include my bloods and DP's SA, we had to wait for both sets of results back before having a joint appointment to be referred as a couple. I suppose they want to see the full picture, an issue with one party doesn't rule out there being an issue with the other. Sorry, don't mean to be negative just trying to work out their reasons. It is frustrating when you've been ttc over a year and then it takes another two to three months just to collect the information for the referral form. We went to the gp in December and it was the end of February before we'd got DP's SA results and could be referred.

omama Wed 27-Mar-13 08:20:16

Thanks all, I'll check out the NICE guidelines & see if i can find anything out from my PCT.

barking sounds like the system with my docs must be the same as yours. It seems that even at this early stage it really is a postcode lottery.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now