Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How to get pregnant with DC2 while still BF DS1

(7 Posts)
HoneyMumandSon Mon 25-Mar-13 10:31:43

Hi. I'm looking for any advice or positive experiences. DS1 is 5 months old and still EBF (although I do express so DH gives him one of his feeds during the night) and we're thinking about starting to try fr DC2. I know it's harder while BF but is it impossible? Or can I still start hoping it might happen before he's off BF?

Nonio Mon 25-Mar-13 15:34:08

I was still breast feeding DD1 when DD2 came alone. DD1 was quite happy to help with engored breasts.

HoneyMumandSon Mon 25-Mar-13 15:58:34

Thanks smile just want to know its not hopeless to think I could conceive again without giving up bf

crazyhead Tue 26-Mar-13 10:03:26

I am pregnant thanks to one 'accidental' shag whilst breastfeeding my DS. My mum and sister both conceived whilst breastfeeding. Basically, fertility whilst breastfeeding varies from person to person and you'll only find out your situation by trying. Kellymom is highly informative on the matter http://kellymom.com/

Are your periods back? Remember in just a few months your son will be eating a good proportion of solids which may help.

christinarossetti Tue 26-Mar-13 10:07:49

You can become pregnant as soon as you start ovulating again. As you don't always know that you're ovulating, it's possible to become pregnant before your first period after birth.

There's a huge variation as to when your body starts to ovulate again. Apparently, it's supposed to coincide with more extended periods between feeds eg sleeping through the night and baby feeding less as he or she is eating solid food.

My period came back before weaning and well before sleeping through the night with both of my children, but individuals vary a lot.

SquidgersMummy Tue 26-Mar-13 20:10:40

Hey there - would love to conceive dc2 here too - dd 8mths - but no periods back yet, she still feeding in the night and you can guarantee if we manage so much as a snuggle she seems to wake up right on cue. This could take a while.....

HoneyMumandSon Sun 07-Apr-13 14:43:50

We're currently feeding 2-3 hourly during the day but we have a 6-7 hour gap at night as he has expressed bottles in the night. Dies that make it more likely ill start ovulating or will the close feeds in the day counteract it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now