Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Fertility clinic appointment booked - some advice needed

(7 Posts)
cwtching Mon 14-Jan-13 17:16:24

Hello! DC and I have our first fertility clinic appointment booked, our local GP was a bit useless and couldn't give me any information as to what would happen in the appointment. I was wondering what we should expect and also what information I might need to take along. Any advice would be very much appreciated... thank you smile

cwtching Mon 14-Jan-13 17:18:25

Oops that should be DH (it's been a long day at work!)

cockatoo Mon 14-Jan-13 17:23:11

Initial consultation will involve info gathering- such as what your period cycle is like? Have you ever been pregnant before? Has partner fathered any children? How long have you been trying to conceive? How frequently do you have sex? Any other medical probs / medication? Then depending on what your GP has already arranged for you will have blood tests arranged and will be booked in for a dye test to check Fallopian tubes are patent / hysteroscopy (camera into womb). Partner will also need to do a sperm analysis. Hope you feel more informed now.

Happilymarried155 Mon 14-Jan-13 18:39:58

On my first appointment they asked me lots of questions about dh and I and then I had to have an internal scan to check for pcos and the shape of my womb they then booked me in for hsg. We didn't have to redo SA or blood tests as we had already done then with gp.
Good luck smile

Hoophopes Mon 14-Jan-13 19:41:01

If you have any test results already form Gp ask for print outs, such as blood tests etc. They wanted me to have a recent smear test (only one yr old test but wanted another one, also chlamydia testing as standard - both done with one nurse appointment at Gp surgery.) Then lots of questions, information gathering - so good to take any information you have on your cycles if recorded any etc. Then basic bloods and Semen Analysis done (already done by Gp but done again by them!).

cwtching Tue 15-Jan-13 13:01:14

Oh thank you cockatoo, Happilymarried and Hoophopes. That definitely helps. Our doctors surgery is a teaching surgery and my appointment was with a 'trainee' GP, she was lovely but didn't know anything about the process. I am booked in for blood tests next week, DH has just had his SA results back so I will definitely make sure I ask for print outs and gather together my cycle info (cue hasty transcribing from my P.D phone ap!) before I go. Thank you smile

Hoophopes Tue 15-Jan-13 19:06:26

Print out of all test results are important. We actually got a folder and put all things fertility related in it. Saved us money when we eventually went private and didnt' have to pay for some tests done already on NHS!! Also although you already had or having some blood tests the hospital may suggest repeating them in one-three months (I had 3 sets) to see if the results are a one off or show a pattern. Same with sperm analysis, it can vary over time as sperm replaces itself every 3 months.

If you haven't already I would suggest both you and dh take the multivitamins and minerals for conception - especially if you end up down assisted fertility route, as best to have them for several months. Several makes about.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: