Talk

Advanced search

Weight loss and missed periods - any doctors around?

(10 Posts)
OneoftheseBoxes Sun 16-Dec-12 20:48:34

Fairly self explanatory really - came off cezarette end august, had withdrawal bleed then what seemed like a normal period end September. So far so good. Then, decided to lose some weight. Feeling all smug as was working (about 6lb from 9st start) but not had a period since - now 11 weeks. Feel a bit of an idiot as didn't really weight loss might affect cycles. And now pretty cross with myself as we want to conceive. Can anyone reassure me that all should come back to normal if I put some weight back on?

OneoftheseBoxes Sun 16-Dec-12 20:50:38

Meant to say 'didn't realise weight loss might affect cycles'. Thanks

rabbitonthemoon Sun 16-Dec-12 21:04:17

Can't help loads but might it just be coming off the cerazette? When I came off the pill after 10 years it took 11 months to get a period. However, at this time I was also quite underweight - I gained weight and my periods started. Hard to tell which it was. Is your BMI underweight?

corblimeymadam Sun 16-Dec-12 21:05:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OneoftheseBoxes Sun 16-Dec-12 21:14:08

Thanks for replying rabbit. Yes bmi is underweight I think - just about 18. I've always been fairly light, between eight and a half stone and just over nine. Had got to just over nine recently and wanted to get back down again as jeans getting a bit tight, but I suppose it is a relatively significant drop relative to starting weight. Shouldn't be too hard to put weight on over Christmas, but I just hope it helps

rabbitonthemoon Sun 16-Dec-12 21:18:33

I think 18 is a bit low for ideal conception weight. I say this because I'm 18 and my consultant (I've been ttc for two years) is insistent that I gain weight ahead of treatment, I do struggle with this. I do have periods though. I'm 7 stone 11 and 5'5. If I fall below 7'7 my periods stop. It's a tough one. The stress of ttc makes me not hungry. But you know, it could be your pill - have you read up on the cerazette threads? It took my friend a fair few months to get her periods back after being on it. Good luck!

OneoftheseBoxes Sun 16-Dec-12 21:28:12

Yes have heard about cezarette (I wasn't told anything about it being difficult to get a period after when I went on to it though, grr). I was hoping that since I'd had one seemingly normal period before losing weight that was a good sign. Could just be an unfortunate combination of the two though I guess. Great.

OneoftheseBoxes Sun 16-Dec-12 21:40:54

Sorry forgot to say that sounds tough for you rabbit. Not easy to make yourself eat more out of a sense of 'having to'. Will keep my fingers crossed for you

rabbitonthemoon Sun 16-Dec-12 21:45:06

Thanks boxes. Ttc is a thing that opens up a new era of worry! I'm sure things will all settle out for you quickly.

EuroShagmore Mon 17-Dec-12 10:42:54

I read somewhere that the idea BMI for conception is 22. That's a little curvier than what I consider to be my own ideal weight, but it is where I currently am after gaining weight on fertility drugs! My periods stop if my weight goes too low.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now