Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Unexplained infertility - not eligible for NHS funding - what next?

(3 Posts)
cozytoes Fri 23-Nov-12 12:03:20

I don't know what to do?

Long story,please bear with me, here goes. TTC 4+ years, had investigations 2 years ago, diagnosed unexplained and referred to NHS for treatment. We were told due to DH already having a child from previous relationship we were not eligible for NHS funding and we don't have access to the funds to pay privately. The consultant gave us a private prescription for Clomid and said come back in 6 months! If we wanted scans etc they would cost us £250 each time but he said some practices don't scan anyway. The timing was bad, we had lots of difficulties, jobs, family issues, etc so we put it off thinking that we get pregnant naturally in the meantime. Jump forward 2 years and still no sign of BFP. The Consultant I saw has now resigned and the private prescription is not worth the paper its written on!

My GP is useless but I'm thinking, as I'm 40 next year, I need to do something NOW! I have contacted a private clinic that does offer treatment to NHS funded patients and they have been great, but have said we are not eligible. However, in the press recently, there have been reports that the criteria is to be changed, NICE guidelines recommending up to 42yrs etc and my PCT has said they will now offer one cycle per couple.

I think what I'm asking is, do you think it's worth going to see my GP and asking for further tests for 'period' issues for example. I have never been scanned and only had bloods which showed normal hormone levels. Is it worth pushing for further investigations and what should I ask for? I have a feeling that the problem is with me, my periods are getting heavy and painful and every few months I get really bad pains.

Do I ask her to request funding and then appeal - although I realise this is probably going to end in tears.

I need to do something now. I've tried the opk sticks, BBT etc and decided to stop it all and relax and see what happens...still nothing.

lemonsherbet Fri 23-Nov-12 14:39:48

I think go back to your GP. The NHS depending on your area may not offer you IVF if you have one child already, but I think they normally do the basic investigations for you which would include scans and I think can include clomid. Ask your GP if they are able to refer you again.

I think this is the case from reading over the conception boards in the past. Someone with more knowledge/ experience will properly post soon

Solars Fri 23-Nov-12 16:46:29

I think Lemon is right, go back to your GP to be referred, you should be at least entitled to basic investigations. Is there another GP in your practice who you could see that may be more helpful? Unfortunately the NICE guidelines are exactly that, guidelines! Your pct doesn't necessarily have to agree with them, I had this discussion with my GP as I'm 40. It is worth bringing it up with your GP though. Wishing you all the best.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: