Talk

Advanced search

Is there ever a right time to ttc/would I be unreasonable to try...

(7 Posts)
enaj1308 Mon 19-Nov-12 14:46:54

To start, I realise that a message this size is not going to convey all the nuances of my lifestyle etc but basically, I am in my very early 20s, cohabiting in a long term relationship and still in university. My parter is in full time employment with a decent salary and we rent our house.

I still have 2 years of my degree to go but to try and explain without drip feeding, I have had a bit of a shit time of it the past few years and have had one of those 'do whatever makes you happy not what you think should do' style epiphanies and although I intend on finishing my degree I don't see myself pursuing a career related to it, and what I really want, more than anything, is to be a stay at home mum, and possibly start a very small business (a bit arty farty you see) in the future.

Am I being selfish to not wait until I have finished my degree to ttc? I don't just want a cute baby I can dress up (not that that wouldn't be hilarious), I want a toddler, and a child and a teenager...I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm looking at it longterm, iyswim?

Any comments or opinions will be appreciated!

MolotovBomb Mon 19-Nov-12 16:29:51

Finish your degree first. It will be much harder to with a baby/child in tow.

What happens when you've had no sleep but need to attend a lecture/seminar/exam the next day? What happens if your little one is ill? Who would look after them?

Your priorities change so much when you become a parent. Finish this first, then see.

EuroShagmore Mon 19-Nov-12 20:19:06

I agree - finish your degree first.

MissSlapAndTipple Tue 20-Nov-12 17:59:59

It's great that you are thinking of a child being long term grin they do have a habit of sticking around once they are here. Finish your degree. A baby would be a pain in the bum trying to study.

MolotovCocktail Tue 20-Nov-12 18:40:18

And I speak from experience: I have a BA and an MA. I had DD1 about a year after I finished my Masters (26yo at the time). I sometimes think to myself how, now that I have 2 kids, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to do that as well as raise two little ones.

I don't mean to be patronising as I know that some work bloody hard to do both ... but make life easier for yourself and don't try to do everything at once x

calypso2008 Tue 20-Nov-12 18:46:21

Definitely finish your degree first. You are really young and it is only a couple of years tops - until you can start TTC.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 20-Nov-12 22:28:13

Finish your degree - if you want to finish your degree! Are you on the right course for you? having a degree will take you much further in the future, regardless of what you plan to do. I suspect if you take time out to have kids you'll never finish it.

I did nurse training with women with kids. I take my hat off to them, I have no idea how they managed it all! It's certainly the more stressful way to do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now