Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

TTC a certain sex

(8 Posts)
Part1 Sun 18-Nov-12 20:44:43

We have 3 x DS whom we love and want a fourth DC. This DC will be the last due to finance and age. We would love to complete the family with a daughter. Is anyone in the same boat? We are planning TTC next spring so after Christmas I am going on a diet designed to sway the chances of a daughter. Anyone else?

sleeplessinsuburbia Sun 18-Nov-12 20:59:59

I have been told by every specialist that they don't believe in diets as they would only at best sway the results the tiniest bit.

ewaczarlie Sun 18-Nov-12 21:02:48

I heard once on a bbc programme that female sperm swim faster than male sperm therefore if you are ttc girl then you should aim for beginning of ovulatin then they can get to the egg 1st (I'm sure I've missed some bits but it was something like that)

ewaczarlie Sun 18-Nov-12 21:04:49

Here it is explained

Part1 Sun 18-Nov-12 21:11:53

Thank ewaczaarlie, I have tried the timing method when conceiving the last two so I am not convinced. Maybe this time I will work it aside diet.

sleeplessinsuburbia Sun 18-Nov-12 21:21:10

Try calcium tablets and cranberry, but prepare for either, even sex selected IVF isn't guaranteed!
I think naturally for a fourth you have an 83% chance of a girl but 17% is still good odds for a boy and I know many people with all one gender.

DingDongBelle Sun 18-Nov-12 22:12:47

I thought it was the other way. Male sperm swim fast & furious but burn out and die faster. Female sperm are slower but live a lot longer. So deep penetrative positions on the day you ov and no propping up your bum for a boy (to get the males up there as quickly as possible and make sure the egg is ready). Shallow positions, one to two days before you ov, bum propped up after for a girl.

So I read anyway. Will look for the link.

There is also a theory that male and female sperm like different acidity in the cervix and so an acid/alkaline diet is thought to sway slightly. But I can't remember which way round it was.

Good luck!

DingDongBelle Sun 18-Nov-12 22:15:00

Here is the link to the Shettles method claiming to be something like 80% effective... Not sure what I think about that but might be a fun experiment smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: