Talk

Advanced search

Conceived DC1 & 2 easily - why is it so difficult third time?

(10 Posts)
orangewellies Fri 16-Nov-12 14:36:09

I conceived DC 1 & 2 when I was 32 and 34 respectively, both first cycle of trying and proceeding to easy stress-free pregnancies. As a result, we waited until the 'time was right' to start trying for DC3, naively assuming that it would be the same story of a quick roll in the hay and 'oh look a BFP'!

So far this year have had 2 chem pregs and a missed MC at 10 weeks. I am now 37 - is it just my age that is making this a more tricky procedure now? I appreciate that a lot of people have problems and take a lot longer to conceive at an earlier age, but I'm just getting really frustrated and sad as it was so easy before and I feel the time ticking away. Can anyone give me hope?

amazingmumof6 Fri 16-Nov-12 17:27:42

with two kid in tow your body is more run down and you are more stressed in general, so I'm not surprised it takes longer!

And yes, as you are over 35, there are more things that could wrong...higher percentage for having Down- syndrome kids or twins or other complications.

I had a MC when I was 34 after 4 healthy pregnancies and babies - it was a total shock...I never would have expected it!

had 2 other healthy kids after that,(I'm now 38, DD is 7 months) so no reason why you shouldn't, but you have to remember that it could take up to 6 months for your body to recover from the trauma of loosing a baby!
and your emotions are still probably all over the place too.

Anyway,if you had tried 2 years ago or last year who can say you would have gotten pregnant?

"If I had known" - but you didn't, so no point beating yourself up about it, you did what was best at the time.

You have probably a good 5-8 years before calling it a day, so you have not just yet run out of time!smile

orangewellies Fri 16-Nov-12 21:20:22

Thanks for replying. I know you're right, we just have to keep trying and trust that a healthy preg will happen again (soon I hope!).

SendMum Sat 17-Nov-12 22:50:00

Hi, I could have written this post myself! I have two boys, the first was an accident, they second conceived on second month of trying. They are only 5 and 2 so it wasn't that long ago! Now been trying for 5 months and nothing. I feel like something is wrong. I had a blood test this week to check I'm ovulating so we will see what the results say. I feel bad for moaning as we are so lucky to have two children already and I am so grateful for them, but it is so frustrating not being able to get pregnant! sad

orangewellies Mon 19-Nov-12 14:14:49

sendmum i'm 'glad' I'm not the only one (obviously not that you're having trouble too!) and yes I do feel bad for moaning too, as i have two lovely children, but in my mind I have always wanted 3. I just don't get what has changed, other than age and that I am now experiencing the obsessing over TTC that I had been so lucky not to have to do before. Anyway, good luck with it, hope we both get that elusive BFP soon.

AThingInYourLife Mon 19-Nov-12 14:22:19

How are you feeling?

I conceived DD1 first month, DD2 second month, DD3 tenth month at 31, 33 abd 36.

I was hypothyroid third time around and once that was treated I conceived immediately.

orangewellies Mon 19-Nov-12 19:43:23

Thats interesting athing - how did you find that out? just googled the symptoms and don't think I have any of them, but you never know...

SendMum Wed 21-Nov-12 13:27:24

I just got the results of my day 21 progesterone test which was inconclusive but suggests I probably did ovulate. A level over 30 means you did and mine was 28. So I'm having it done again next month as well as some day 3 tests to check LH levels and some other hormones I can't remember! Doctor was very reassuring and said everything is probably fine and its just going to take time confused

AThingInYourLife Wed 21-Nov-12 13:41:40

If you don't have symptoms it's probably not that.

I was tipped off when they surgically removed half my thyroid gland grin

But quite a lot of people have syptoms of being hypothyroid that they don't recognise as such, so it was worth mentioning.

SendMum Wed 21-Nov-12 19:33:49

Orangewellies some news that I hope will give you hope rather than make you feel worse. I found out this evening I'm pregnant! I got my day 21 blood tests results this morning which showed a progesterone level of 28, so they couldn't say for sure I was even ovulating (needs to be over 30) so had a rough day feeling very despondent and booking more tests. Then when I got home I went to clear yesterday's pregnancy test from the bathroom shelf which i had thought was negative and it was actually positive! I must have not waited long enough. I nearly shrieked the house down! I hope this gives you hope and you get a lovely bpf soon! Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now