Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone tried IUI?

(6 Posts)
Nelli30 Mon 03-Apr-06 09:30:25

Hi there, My husband and I have been ttc for 2 years with no success. Not wanting to leap into IVF straight away I have learnt about another procedure which is called IUI, basically washed sperm is injected straight into the women 7 hours before ovulation so they are ready and waiting for the egg. Just wondered if anyone else has tried it or knows anything about it!!
Thanks x

coggy Mon 03-Apr-06 19:04:00

On the waiting list!
I think there's a thread on here if you scroll down.

Yes...just checked - it's Bubbly's online IUI diary.

fin7842 Tue 30-May-06 20:32:22

I conceived on my 2nd attempt at IUI at the age of 38 (so I really thought time was running out for me). It does depend on why you're having problems conceiving, for me I needed a boost to help me ovulate, it can work and, as far as I can see, it is less invasive than IVF.

bubbly1973 Wed 31-May-06 20:22:21

nelli, you need to make sure that both your tubes are okay and not damaged as in iui the procedure does rely on your eggs travelling down the fallopian tube.

also i think dhs sperm should be relativly okay, it doesnt have to be brilliant, but so long as theres enough i think you should be fine

good luck and let us know how you get on

Piffle Wed 31-May-06 20:24:24

Our consultant told is it has a low catch rate esp the first IUI, (less than 10% apparently?) he has also said it would probably be an option for us once tests are completed - (secondary infertility)
I only have one tube but two ovaries so eeeks
I'd have tp pay £450 each time as well

mancmum Wed 31-May-06 20:30:24

yes -- had my DD after the 2nd attempt at age of 38.. was a very easy procedure... we used it for secondary infertilty -- no real cause but it did boost my ovulation which was a bit random... cost about 500 quid a go plus about 100 for drugs... would definitely give it 3 goes before going for IVF which is a lot more expensive and invasive... if you know tubes are clear etc... I was told to only have 3 goes as the odds of it working drop massively after 3rd .. and 3 goes where equlivelent in success rate to 1 go at IVF... good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: