Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Has anyone tried IUI?

(6 Posts)
Nelli30 Mon 03-Apr-06 09:30:25

Hi there, My husband and I have been ttc for 2 years with no success. Not wanting to leap into IVF straight away I have learnt about another procedure which is called IUI, basically washed sperm is injected straight into the women 7 hours before ovulation so they are ready and waiting for the egg. Just wondered if anyone else has tried it or knows anything about it!!
Thanks x

coggy Mon 03-Apr-06 19:04:00

On the waiting list!
I think there's a thread on here if you scroll down.

Yes...just checked - it's Bubbly's online IUI diary.

fin7842 Tue 30-May-06 20:32:22

I conceived on my 2nd attempt at IUI at the age of 38 (so I really thought time was running out for me). It does depend on why you're having problems conceiving, for me I needed a boost to help me ovulate, it can work and, as far as I can see, it is less invasive than IVF.

bubbly1973 Wed 31-May-06 20:22:21

nelli, you need to make sure that both your tubes are okay and not damaged as in iui the procedure does rely on your eggs travelling down the fallopian tube.

also i think dhs sperm should be relativly okay, it doesnt have to be brilliant, but so long as theres enough i think you should be fine

good luck and let us know how you get on

Piffle Wed 31-May-06 20:24:24

Our consultant told is it has a low catch rate esp the first IUI, (less than 10% apparently?) he has also said it would probably be an option for us once tests are completed - (secondary infertility)
I only have one tube but two ovaries so eeeks
I'd have tp pay £450 each time as well

mancmum Wed 31-May-06 20:30:24

yes -- had my DD after the 2nd attempt at age of 38.. was a very easy procedure... we used it for secondary infertilty -- no real cause but it did boost my ovulation which was a bit random... cost about 500 quid a go plus about 100 for drugs... would definitely give it 3 goes before going for IVF which is a lot more expensive and invasive... if you know tubes are clear etc... I was told to only have 3 goes as the odds of it working drop massively after 3rd .. and 3 goes where equlivelent in success rate to 1 go at IVF... good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: