Talk

Advanced search

Late positive after lots of bfn

(14 Posts)
cogitosum Thu 08-Nov-12 07:22:26

I was due at the weekend. Tested wed, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. All BFNs. Disappointed I went out and drank quite heavily and smoked about 20 cigarettes in one night.

I've now done another test as still hadn't come on this morning (lasted tested Monday) and got bfp!

A part of me is over the moon but I'm also terrified. I had a mmc in June and cannot believe I have drunk and put this baby at risk. I just thought BFNs at the point I was due on were fairly definite.

Also to only get a bfp now I don't understand. My hcg levels must be pretty low and CBD says 1-2 weeks when I'm sure it must be further than that (at least 2 weeks to make me 4 weeks)

I'm just so scared of another miscarriage. Firstly does anyone know how much harm I could've done with drinking and smoking? (I know it was stupid and I hate myself for it)
Also are low hcg levels at early stage always an issue?

Thank you in advance.

sparkle101 Thu 08-Nov-12 08:01:00

Congratulations!!!!!!

It took me a good week to get a bfp, I tested every day after af due and was just met with negative after negative. My bfp is now playing with her toys in front of me!

In regards to drinking I got sloshed when I was pregnant with her before af was due and i didn't know and she's fine! I'm positive there are many many more ladies who have done the same. I can't see how it would have done any damage bit if you are at all worried speak to doctor and thru can maybe arrange an early scan for you.

Congratulations again!

cogitosum Thu 08-Nov-12 08:15:28

Thank you. That's reassuring that it's possible for a bfp to only appear a while after af due and everything be ok.

I'm trying to get dr appointment for today. But I'm meant to be having one on Monday anyway. Ironically it's to discuss results of blood test I had for progesterone as I thought I'd stopped ovulating!

I'm not sure how much reassurance and early scan will give me. Last time I had one that said all ok (heard heartbeat) and then another one that showed it'd died!

cogitosum Thu 08-Nov-12 14:04:01

One more question. I know hcg rises at different rates for different people. Does anyone know if it can rise at different rates for different pregnancies? I got a bfp about 5 days before af due in my first pregnancy and now only about 5 days after af due!

BraveLilBear Thu 08-Nov-12 15:22:02

Hey cogito congrats!

Could be your dates are out? If you weren't charting or POAS or temping or you don't get mittelschmertz, could be that you simply ovulated a week late.

It does happen - I have a pretty regular 31.5 day cycle (yes, .5) but in the run up to my sister's wedding I was more than 13 days late (and almost 100% certain wasn't a CP as was using protection, wasn't DTD much). I'd had a weird virus and was a tad stressed, so it threw my cycle out.

Don't worry bout the drinking either - if HCG was that low, risk would be very low.

There's not much you can do really (helplessly) about the late BFP but stay positive and see how it goes. Good luck!

ErmahgerdBlahdyCold Thu 08-Nov-12 16:01:51

When I was pregnant with ds1 (now 4) I got my bfp really late, when I had my 12 week scan my dates were adjusted. In retrospect I probably ovulated really late, I was using opk tests and never got a positive from them at all!

Good luck with your pregnancy :-)

cogitosum Thu 08-Nov-12 16:14:15

Thank you! I love the congrats it makes it feel real!

No I know exactly when I ovulated. If anything it was slightly earlier than it should be before af.

I also had loads of other symptoms earlier (sore boobs and nausea) so was convicted I was preg until I got bfn. I'm guessing progesterone levels were up but not hcg (as they called me about progesterone levels so assume they were high as they don't call if results are normal)

Is it possible to have hcg but it just not go into urine for some reason?

winkle2 Thu 08-Nov-12 23:03:31

When the CBD says 1-2 weeks it means 4 weeks really as CBD counts from OV, but docs count from last period.

cogitosum Fri 09-Nov-12 05:57:36

Thank you.

I know about the 2 weeks. By my lmp I should be 5 weeks. I have a slightly longer cycle so could be 4 - 5 (although actually I think I ovulated 2 weeks after lmp)

But according to this I'm 3 - 4... Which isn't even physically possible!

Aargh can't wait to get to the dr. I should be so happy but still feeling anxious (especially after last time)

Cynner Fri 09-Nov-12 06:06:51

Yay for you! I'm sending lots of good wishes to you and your little bean..

willitbe Fri 09-Nov-12 10:45:39

cogitosum - hcg in urine is not a reliable way to know about how strong or not the pregnancy is. My sister and my mum both had pregnancies where they had negative tests throughout, pregnancies were confirmed in other ways and the pregnancies were fine. I have had miscarriages where I tested and got early good positives, the blood tests showed good doubling and appeared fine, but the pregnancies still failed. On my first pregnancy I did not get a positive test until 3 days after my period was due, that pregnancy was fine.

Try to just take one day at a time, "today I am pregnant" mantra is the way to go. I wish you all the best for you and this pregnancy, and hope that you have a wonderful babe in arms in 9 months time.

cogitosum Fri 09-Nov-12 11:37:27

Ah thank you.

Actually I do feel really positive and happy - more so than I did at this stage in my last pregnancy (and at this point everything was fine - I got bfp almost a week before af due)

I like the today I am pregnant mantra!

Fingers crossed!

neontetra Fri 09-Nov-12 11:44:44

Exactly this happened to me (including the drinking). Finally got BFP by using a better quality test - clearblue I think. And first morning urine. But the digital text always showed me I was less pregnant than I thought, iyswim. DD now seven months, healthy, happy and behaving like a nightmare for her father this very minute, or so he just emailed! Good luck.

cogitosum Sat 10-Nov-12 09:44:14

Today it was 2-3 on CBD so it seems to be rising yay!

Thank you everyone. neontetra ( we've got loads of those in our fish tank!) that's really reassuring to know the CBD was behind for you and it was all ok! Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now