Talk

Advanced search

Laparoscopic adhesiolysis - what should I know?

(7 Posts)
Geeklette Tue 06-Nov-12 07:51:25

I'm finally going down the IVF route but two months ago a scan revealed that my ovaries are not accessible for egg collection (among a myriad other problems that, in the dog world would probably have me put down). I've been advised to have a laparoscopic adhesiolysis in order to free my ovaries and relocate them somewhere more accessible. With luck, this should be in the next month or two.

What advice would you give? Should I stop TTC until afterwards, in case they won't do the operation if there is a risk of pregnancy (has! Fat chance sad)? What is the recovery time like?

My boss knows I need to undergo medical treatment shortly, but not what for. I've told him that I need an operation before my treatment (ie IVF) can start, but haven't been able to give him any clues as to how long I might be off. I had open surgery for a cystectomy 13 years ago, and I was off work for a lot of weeks. This won't be anywhere near as bad though will it?

Geeklette Fri 09-Nov-12 07:13:52

Bump - anyone?

sarlat Fri 09-Nov-12 22:40:38

hi Geek

Not sure I can offer much advice but just to say hello and say I am doing something similar soon. I am having a lap to remove scar tissue which is in the end of my fallopian tubes or stuck to the ends. Either way causing me massive fertility issues.

I have already had 2 cycles of IVF - BFN sadly. sad.

It's all so tough isn't it. I would imagine the recovary time is around 1 week but I don't know for sure. Maybe don't TTC only from the month the lap is due assuming the lap is in the leutal phase - that is what I will do.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon.

Geeklette Sat 10-Nov-12 18:51:49

Thanks sarlat smile Sorry to hear about your IVF results though. Best of luck with your own lap, hope it gives you your BFP.

KnackeredCow Sun 11-Nov-12 15:42:53

I had laparoscopic adhesiolysis plus removal of a paratubal cyst and partial salpingectomy as my left tube was damaged by the cyst. Even with complications (urinary retention after op) and a wound infection I went back to work on slightly reduced hours (6 per day instead of 7.5) after two weeks. Back on full-time hours after three.

We did our first IVF 12 weeks after op. Took us a few attempts but after one fresh IVF (biochemical pregnancy), one failed FET (embryo failed to thaw), another failed fresh IVF I am now 24 weeks with twins after our third fresh IVF. grin

I won't lie, egg collection was really uncomfortable due to adhesions and placement of ovaries BUT definitely all worth it in the end.

Good luck!

KnackeredCow Sun 11-Nov-12 15:45:39

Meant to add you can carry on TTC whilst waiting for the op. They did a pg test on me when I arrived at theatre admissions on the morning of mine. If you turn out to be pregnant they simply cancel you off the list there and then.

Geeklette Mon 12-Nov-12 19:36:16

Thank you knackered that's exactly what I needed to hear. Congratulations on your twins!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now