Talk

Advanced search

How can day 21 tests confirm the state of your tubes?

(23 Posts)
iloveberries Mon 05-Nov-12 21:57:01

Ds aged 2.7. Ttc #2 for 16 months now. One ectopic pregnancy 9months ago.

Been to doctor today who has referred dh for sperm tests and thrust blood collection bottle and envelope at me for day 21 tests. I have heard of these but he didn't give me an explanation. I always thought they measured whether you were ovulating or not but doc tells me they can tell if my remaining tube (i had one removed with the ectopic) is clear. I asked how this was possible and he said it was due to the hormone levels. I know I am being ague, he was very vague and his english wasn't good so he couldn't really answer my questions.... I know, so I'm turning to the Internet!! Haha.

Anyway - does anyone know how a day 21 can tell if your tubes are ok?

Thanks In advance,

iloveberries Mon 05-Nov-12 22:00:05

Also - if I don't ovulate on day 14 - should I still be doing the test on day 21? Sorry - I clearly should have asked the doctor this, he just didn't explain anything and I was so pleased someone was finally taking me seriously

Happilymarried155 Mon 05-Nov-12 22:13:20

Erm....I could be wrong but I have never heard of day 21 being able to see if your tubes are clear, I'm sure that is just to see if you are ovulating, you need a hsg to check your tubes.

As for the ovulation on day 14 thing, I got told at the fertility clinic that your day 21 bloods are no good without your day 3 bloods also. Maybe you could get an appointment with another doctor.
Good luck smile

iloveberries Mon 05-Nov-12 22:17:27

Oh jeez..... I thought this might be the case...Flipping useless.

As for day 3 bloods I've never heard of them but thanks for flagging...I'll head back on my next day off and try and see another doctor.

I think I was just so flabbergasted he was doing something after all the other docs saying "go away, keep trying" that I didn't question him rigorously enough.

Still...... Bit crap of him, right?

theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Mon 05-Nov-12 22:22:42

Was this a gp or gynae appt? Day 3, day 21 and semen analysis were the first steps we had before referral to fertility clinic. Hysterscopy (sp?) or lap ad dye check tubes.

Pipbin Mon 05-Nov-12 22:23:23

No it doesn't. I have had day 3 and day 21 tests which came back clear, yet my tubes have shown as blocked on an HSG. All they can show is that your hormone levels change and therefore you potentially ovulate.
I would change doctors.

Ginshizz Mon 05-Nov-12 22:26:34

Hi OP I am no expert but I have been through a lot of fertility tests.

Day 21 bloods can't tell you if your tubes are clear. The point of them is to see if, 7 days after you think you have ovulated, your progesterone levels suggest you have actually ovulated. So day 21 is a bit misleading as, if you have a cycle that is longer or shorter than 28 days you will need to test on a differnt day. You should have the test done 7 days before you are expecting your period.

Even if you're tube is not clear but you ovulating, you will get a positive test as your hormone levels are the same whether or not your egg travels to where it's meant to be.

Day 3 bloods measure your FSH and LH levels to see if there is an imbalance suggesting something like PCOS.

As happilymarried said, they should be done together.

The only way to test whether your tube is clear is to have a specific investigation like an HSG or a HyCoSy.

IME, GPs are not always that well versed in these tests so do insist that you get proper investigations. Good luck and fingers crossed for a bfp soon!

smile

Christelle2207 Mon 05-Nov-12 22:28:11

you do need 21 day test anyway though. go 7 days after ovulation.

Christelle2207 Mon 05-Nov-12 22:30:20

actually gin is right 7 days before period- if you can make good enough guess- better

Pipbin Mon 05-Nov-12 22:37:26

I had my day 21 test done on CD 26 because I had a longer cycle.
And as said above, you need both done.

iloveberries Tue 06-Nov-12 06:57:33

Thanks all - that make sense. My extensive loitering on these boards made me sure a day 21 test was not to check tubes, or tube in my case sad. I'll get back to see a different gp.

pipbin I remember you. Sorry you're still here - what is your next step?

Thanks everyone

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 06-Nov-12 08:58:57

Hi berries <waves>
I thought the only way to check your tubes was a HSG or lap and dye? I agree - if you know when you're ovulating take yourself for your 'day 21' misnomer ideally 7 days after you ovulate - its looking at the progesterone level which peaks 7 days after ovulating. Otherwise it'll come back as low simply for being taken at the wrong time. Good luck!

iloveberries Tue 06-Nov-12 20:37:33

Hi have how are you getting on? Your bfp was one of my mums net faves smile

Pipbin Tue 06-Nov-12 20:44:02

Hi Have and berries.

Off for a lap and dye for me next!

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 06-Nov-12 20:44:12

Aww thanks smile 16 weeks now! Heard the heart beat with the midwife today - such an amazing feeling (I may have cried a bit!). Only 4 weeks til the 20 week scan believe it or not!

iloveberries Tue 06-Nov-12 20:51:13

So pleased its going well have. Hope you get somewhere * pip*!

Pipbin Tue 06-Nov-12 21:06:37

Me too Berries. How is it going for you?

Purpleprickles Tue 06-Nov-12 23:28:19

Hello Pipbin and Berries just saw you here and thought I'd say hi. Still no luck for me, got af today and am feeling very sad about it hence me lurking on Conception. Hope you both get some good news soon x

Pipbin Wed 07-Nov-12 20:59:04

I'm hanging out on the Elderberry thread if anyone fancies joining me there.
Sorry to hear about AF Purple

iloveberries Wed 07-Nov-12 22:35:32

pipbinIt's going ok.... Well the ttc is pretty shit. Due date from my ectopic has been and gone. I am a tube down and dh is on meds which affect sperm so I'm not fancying our chances much - but it only takes one little swimmer, right?! I feel very grateful for my ds but also acutely aware that he is frequently after a playmate and I feel like a failure for not providing one.

Having said that so far the 2nd year of ttc is proving easier than the first... Less expectation.... And I know we will get the eventually, it's just a matter of time. (ok so I'm not quite as confident as I sound but I'm trying!)

I've tried to take a step back from conception threads as they weren't doing me any favours, hence not being around too much.

purple so sorry about af. Wine and chocs for you..... Where are you now re: time ttc and fertility investigations?

I have another doc appt on fri am. Bit sexist but I've asked for a female doc.... Hoping they might empathise more......

Purpleprickles Sat 10-Nov-12 08:28:41

Hi Berries how did you get on with the doctor? I'm stuck really, dh is refusing any tests because he feels if it doesn't happen naturally we should just be grateful for ds. He wants to stop trying soon too as he is nearly 40 and feels he is too old to be a new dad. I did see my GP who said she would refer me for the 21 day tests but that they could be inconclusive and if me and dh didn't want to go further was there any point? This was all said in a supportive way in terms of wouldn't it make me more stressed if I'm not prepared to go on with tests rather than a waste of resources. It was left open though so I can go back and be referred if I change my mind.
Since then I've had about 12 weeks of acupuncture to regulate my periods. That got me down to a 30 day cycle for two cycles but then this month it went up to 31 days. Only a small change I know but it feels like another blow and I'd really believed in the acupuncture. It had kind of given me a lot of strength and also peace about the whole lack of conception but now I just think it might all be a fluke and have gone back to being a sadenvy woman sad

Pipbin Sun 11-Nov-12 12:17:38

Is DH DS's dad? If so I wonder if there is any point in testing him. Chap's stuff tends to be so variable that tests seem to me almost pointless unless they are completely sterile.
With regards to your cycles, my fertility consultant is convinced it was exercise that made my cycles drop from 33 to 28 days.

Purpleprickles Sun 11-Nov-12 22:24:56

Yes he is Pipbin, that's interesting to know. Maybe I should go ahead alone? I was running a whole ago but have fallen off that wagon. I should probably get back on it. I could do with losing a bit of weight too, am not massive but could be slimmer. I need to get myself kick started I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now